FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

IR LED project using current source

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sasikashiroshi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: IR LED project using current source Reply with quote

Hello. I'm a total newbie to creating my own circuits. I've done a lot of soldering and have been able to follow instructions for wiring up my own type of stuff but i've never designed a circuit and so i'm still learning all the basics. What i'm trying to build is a small, battery and/or AC/DC powered device which is nothing more than a IR LED lamp. It will have 3-5 IR LEDs that will constantly be on. The device will have a switch to turn it on or off and a little red LED to indicate its power state (since I can't see in infrared). Now I was chatting with some people on IRC and they told me I should use a current source. So i've been reading up on it and it seems like a good idea, especially if i'm using batteries. So my question is... how do I create a current source with what I want? I would like to be able to power this whole thing with maybe 1 or 2 AA batteries (as small as possible) but also have a plug for AC/DC adapter for an outlet. I am not sure how to build a current source. All I figure is grab the LEDs, solder them together with wire and attach to battery and switch =) (like I said, i'm a newbie). Can anyone help me with this? It would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you very much.

tbyte

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a "wall wart", those power supplies that hang on the wall, in a thrift store. You then need to design your array based on what voltage you want to use. Here's my favorite site for that, it does all the math for you: http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz You hopefully are using 100mA infrared LEDs.

Not long ago, I built a 9 LED infrared light out of an ibuprofen bottle. It was powered by USB so I didn't need to worry about batteries or a power supply, I could plug it into any USB source.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> LED Projects All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: