FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

In need of help w/LED project for guitar amp.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
the_philth
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: In need of help w/LED project for guitar amp. Reply with quote

Greeting people. This is my first time to this forum and I have to admit, all the projects here are way cool! Awesome job(s)!

My name is Phil, I had an idea that would help my music gear look really cool on stage and I'd need your guys' expert, eccentric and/or artistic help!

I'm so new to electronics that I wouldn't even know where to begin with this project, so I come to you! Here's my project. My guitar amplifier has a plexiglass panel on the face of the cabinet, I'd like to place a bunch of ultra-bright blue LEDs inside to give it a spaceship-like *glowing* effect.

I've already tried using a couple of Liquid Neon Cathode lights, which unfortunately for me, only had a subtle effect meaning- you can only appreciate it if you were looking at it from up close. That project ended up in my floor-board as a simple stage-effect for myself anyway.

The idea in my head looks like an array of mini christmas tree blinker lights that I could mount on the inside of the chassis, of course hidden away inside, but that would provide a cool looking blue blast of light! I'd also like to feed the LEDs power (if possible) from the amp's main power supply (amp schematic).

Thanks in advance guys- I hope this thread can provoke an interest!

Cheers!

Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: In need of help w/LED project for guitar amp. Reply with quote

Hey Phil,

Nice looking amp! Page 10 at the top shows what looks like the main power supply for the system. Ground and +15 Volts would be fine to use for the small amount of power an LED circuit. What type of effect are you looking for, a bunch of LEDs flashing together or a random flash pattern from a bunch of LEDs?

If there is an easy way to mount some LEDs behind the tubes that would be a cool effect. Another idea would be to mount some on the back wall of the unit facing front and give some pulses of bright light.
the_philth
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alan!

Good ideas ya got there! My thoughts where to light up the innards of the amp with those uber-bright blue LEDs to make the amp look like something out of a sci-fi flick. Not blinking. However, behind the tubes would look pretty cool as well; it would actually silhouette the components (tubes, transformers etc) with the blue light. The amp even has a chrome plate sitting below the components which in turn would help out with the illumination!

I don't know if I'm into the *blinking* all that much. The amp (to me) permitting a constant light would be kind of ominous looking--- I dig that! I did like the idea of the liquid cathode I had in there... bummer that it didn't work out like I hoped.

I'm thinking of just hot-glueing the strand of LEDs somewhere along the perimeter of the amp so it gives off that... aura if you will!

I like your ideas Alan... what else ya got?

cheers!
~phil
the_philth
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any suggestions guys?

:::: bumpity bump ::::
the_philth
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:::: bumpity bump bump bump ::::
(albeit -- 2 years later!)
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey the_philth,

How did the project turn out? Any pictures?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> LED Projects All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: