FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

Electricity generator from an old VCR

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JingleJoe
HG Supreme

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Electricity generator from an old VCR Reply with quote

Some time ago my grandad brought home an old VCR, a video tape player, who knows where he got it- probably a dumpster or the side of the road Laughing allways a good source of electronics to play with Wink

Although it was working it was kinda damaged and faulty so I took it apart Very Happy
Amongst the things I found were a DC motor and some gears and bits of metal.
I noticed, by accident, a long time ago that I could generate electricity with a DC motor (Which is constructed from just what an ordinary generator consists of; copper wire coils and magnets!) So I cobbled them together into this device!

It can generate more than 4 volts easily, at about 100 milliamps. So far it's only powered by hand but I have plans to connect it to a small windmill and generate some electricity from the wind! I could use it to charge batteries or just use the electricity straight from it to power some lights Smile although they would probably flicker and dim as the wind speed changed, but that could be quite nice- like the flickering of a candle flame Smile

That's the set up I have in the photos and the video below; The generator is connected directly to a green LED and an old meter Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyIPBDcFWEw

Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VCR's have tons of goodies in them. I find the older the better. I have also stripped out lots of DC motors and gears from out of them. You need to hook that up to a small windmill and charge some batteries. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Other Hacks All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: