FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

LED Sign
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
r0b3rt03
HG Junior

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any idea what would be the best thickness for the plexiglass. Also, when I am lighting the plexiglass with the LED's I was planning on using 5mm LED's and powering them with a 9v source. If possible I would like to use a DC source to plug it into the wall.

How would I go about powering this with DC?

Thanks again.

Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r0b3rt03 wrote:
Do you have any idea what would be the best thickness for the plexiglass. Also, when I am lighting the plexiglass with the LED's I was planning on using 5mm LED's and powering them with a 9v source. If possible I would like to use a DC source to plug it into the wall.

How would I go about powering this with DC?

Thanks again.

I am not sure the best thickness but I would think that it would not have to be very thick. 3mm LEDs might help you work with thinner plexi glass.

You sure could power it with a plug in power supply. Just like a 9 volt battery the plug in supply would need to be DC otherwise you would need to rectify the source.

Have a look at this page for instructions on calculating the resistor for your application.
http://alan-parekh.com/led_resistor_calculator.html

One thing to note about most plug in power supplies is that they often put out higher voltage than what they are listed as. For example some inexpensive 9 volt DC supplies will put out 12 volts with no load.
r0b3rt03
HG Junior

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have some LED's with resistors for both projects, however I am having some difficulty finding a way to power this with DC power. Is there a product that people have used for this? Where could I purchase this kind of product?

Thanks.
JingleJoe
HG Supreme

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r0b3rt03 wrote:
I am having some difficulty finding a way to power this with DC power. Is there a product that people have used for this?

Batteries. 9 Volt, DC ones.

r0b3rt03 wrote:
Where could I purchase this kind of product?

Almost any convenience store or corner shop or hardware store or electronics shop.
Laughing
r0b3rt03
HG Junior

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JingleJoe wrote:
r0b3rt03 wrote:
I am having some difficulty finding a way to power this with DC power. Is there a product that people have used for this?

r0b3rt03 wrote:

Almost any convenience store or corner shop or hardware store or electronics shop.
Laughing

I think I misphrased my question. What I meant was how can I make an etched LED sign or any LED project run off of electricity from a wall plug?

Thanks.
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r0b3rt03 wrote:
JingleJoe wrote:
r0b3rt03 wrote:

r0b3rt03 wrote:

Laughing

I think I misphrased my question. What I meant was how can I make an etched LED sign or any LED project run off of electricity from a wall plug?

Thanks.

You just need a plug in power supply like the one we sell.
http://alan-parekh.vstore.ca/product_info.php/cPath/10/products_id/69

You can get these anywhere though like Radio Shack. They come in a variety of voltages, the one we sell is 12 Volts.
r0b3rt03
HG Junior

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan wrote:

You can get these anywhere though like Radio Shack. They come in a variety of voltages, the one we sell is 12 Volts.

How would I wire this product up to run then? Is there a way that I would connect this power source to the circuit instead of using 9v batteries?

Thanks.
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r0b3rt03 wrote:
Alan wrote:

How would I wire this product up to run then? Is there a way that I would connect this power source to the circuit instead of using 9v batteries?

Thanks.

Yes, a battery provides positive and negative leads. A plug in power supply also has positive and negative leads.

If you get a 9 volt plug in power supply your circuit will not know the difference between the two.
r0b3rt03
HG Junior

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan wrote:

Yes, a battery provides positive and negative leads. A plug in power supply also has positive and negative leads.

If you get a 9 volt plug in power supply your circuit will not know the difference between the two.

The image that I viewed from your store looked like it only had a female connection on it. How would I connect that to the circuit? Would I need another component to plug that into?
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r0b3rt03 wrote:
Alan wrote:

The image that I viewed from your store looked like it only had a female connection on it. How would I connect that to the circuit? Would I need another component to plug that into?

Nope, all you do is clip off the end and you will be left with two wires. If you application needs 9 volts that transformer will not work for you but if you are at the design stage and can accommodate a 12 volt power supply it will work well. The nice thing about that transformer is that it is regulated so the output is 12 volts regardless of load.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> LED Projects All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: