FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

LED Glass Table

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: LED Glass Table Reply with quote

"Ingo Maurer's LED Table was on display at the ICFF and at the Ingo Maurer opening party last night. I can't stop staring at this table. I think its partly due to the "oooh sparkly" effect of a Xmas tree, and also because I can't figure out where the LEDs are getting their electricity from. It's quite a startling effect. Although they are wedged between two sheets of glass, the LEDs appear to be floating in thin air. Ingo Maurer's website says: 278 white LEDs per table top, emitting light on both sides. 230/125 volts, 48 volts DC. INVISIBLE LIVE PARTS. There are tiny transparent wires embedded between the 2 sheets of glass, connecting the LEDs. The lights can be dimmed and even turned off if you suddenly want your LED table to look like a regular glass table again."

http://www.inhabitat.com/entry_48.php

John

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, a string of LED lights from the clearance section and a few pieces of glass could make me an interesting table! Smile Exclamation Surprised Razz
sarah_9

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Truly amazing, just imagine that you have this table in your lawn or dining area, it will look so pretty, now the world of home and garden furniture is changing very fast, so it is not impossible to dream such things.

Regards,
sarah_9
grow14me2
HG Junior

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful. That is really cool. I would love to play beer pong on that thins. Could you make it one that has a beer pong rule sheet on it?
HyperHacker
HG Junior

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oi, bit of spam in here I see. (One's rather clever though, actually manages to be on topic!)

This is very interesting. What are these transparent wires made of? It seems like this would be very easy to make, just a string of LEDs between a couple pieces of glass, but I can't think of what transparent material conducts electricity. Small clear plastic pipes filled with water? Razz

Actually I wonder if fibre-optics would work better in this case. You'd just attach the ends to the upper pane so the light shines out the top. The only problem is how to attach them there; I'd say glue, but it'd probably be ugly and might block the light. Maybe you could layer two panes on top of eachother, and drill holes in the lower one to stick the ends into.
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyperHacker wrote:
Oi, bit of spam in here I see. (One's rather clever though, actually manages to be on topic!)

This is very interesting. What are these transparent wires made of? It seems like this would be very easy to make, just a string of LEDs between a couple pieces of glass, but I can't think of what transparent material conducts electricity. Small clear plastic pipes filled with water? Razz

Actually I wonder if fibre-optics would work better in this case. You'd just attach the ends to the upper pane so the light shines out the top. The only problem is how to attach them there; I'd say glue, but it'd probably be ugly and might block the light. Maybe you could layer two panes on top of eachother, and drill holes in the lower one to stick the ends into.

Thanks, I cleaned up the spam.

Without seeing the table close up it is hard to guess what it would be. I wonder if it is just as simple as thin wisps of wire that is barely noticeable. Your fiber optic idea is good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> LED Projects All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: