FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

counting cars and measuring their speed?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meshferg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: counting cars and measuring their speed? Reply with quote

Hi,
I want to count cars and measure their speed on the one-way street in front of my house, and feed the data into a computer.

I have thought about all the following ideas, but would like any community feedback:
- radar gun with digital interface.
- dual pneumatic tube system. i.e. 2 hoses with pressure sensors at one end. (I think a lot of traffic measuring companies use these. With 2 tubes spaced a known distance, you can get count, speed, and axle spacing).
- some sort of inductive wires on the road surface.

Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks.

/s/ Martin

Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:14 am    Post subject: counting cars and measuring their speed? Sharp IR Sensor Reply with quote

meshferg wrote:
Hi,
I want to count cars and measure their speed on the one-way street in front of my house, and feed the data into a computer.

I have thought about all the following ideas, but would like any community feedback:
- radar gun with digital interface.
- dual pneumatic tube system. i.e. 2 hoses with pressure sensors at one end. (I think a lot of traffic measuring companies use these. With 2 tubes spaced a known distance, you can get count, speed, and axle spacing).
- some sort of inductive wires on the road surface.

Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks.

/s/ Martin

Interesting project. If it is one lane you could also look into putting 2 lasers across the lane of traffic. I am not sure what the response rate of the reflective IR sensors are, if they are good enough you may want to use two of those Sharp IR Distance sensors mounted in something (like your car) beside the flow of traffic.

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/sharp-ir-distance-sensor-gp2y0a02yk.aspx/?af=hackedgadgets
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: