FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

LED Headlights - Possible?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adshark

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: LED Headlights - Possible? Reply with quote

Hey All,

Very new to LED's and this board. I have been doing a lot of research into replacing my HID's with LED's.

Turns out Audi might have them in their new cars.

I would like to know if this is a challenge someone here would want to help me with?

The reason for my wanting to do this is that one of my HID's blew out and it turns out I have some aftermarket crap that no one can figure out what replacement bulb to use. It would cost an outrageous amount to replace all the parts, so, I'd like to make LED headlight to save cost and to avoid burnout in the normal headlight time frame.

Reverend Jones
HG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Osram Ostar LEDs are used in the headlights of some Cadillacs.
greasemunkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: led headlamps Reply with quote

I'd suggest the luxeons, you can run these up to 1500mA.
http://www.ledsupply.com/05027-pwc4-180.php

Cree make some that are even brighter, but they have a much lower lifespan. I think it's 400 hours compared to the 10,000 hour life expectancy of the luxeons.

Two things you'll need to think about - voltage and beam pattern.

Beam pattern you'll have to research. I know there are a bunch of lenses available but if you use the wrong ones you'll blind everyone else on the road. These ovals might work if you can aim them right, or maybe a mix of ovals and spots?
http://www.ledsupply.com/l2-op-520.php

Voltage - your car has a 12V system but is charging at around 13.8-14.2V so you'll need a voltage regulator. I just searched ebay for 12v 5A regulator and there were a bunch on there for around $10-20. You could probably use a car power adapter for a laptop too.

I figure you could run 3 leds per side for about $100. I don't know for certain if 3 will be bright enough for headlamps. Maybe you could research the caddy from the previous posting and see how many they use.
jimmy123

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you visit http://www.empvisualsolutions.com/ ? I m sure, you'll get what you are looking for in led.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> LED Projects All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: