FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

Help with interfacing LCD...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormthereaper
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Help with interfacing LCD... Reply with quote

its an LG LB070W02 heres the PDF:

http://www.beyondinfinite.com/lcd/Library/LG-Philips/LB070W02-A5.pdf

so my question is how would you guys describe to a absolute noob(aka me) where the heck to start? My ultimate goal is to make a photo viewer, and i am going to use a scandisk photoviewer off of ebay for cheap and it takes a standard component cable connection....so basically all i need to do is figure out how to design prototype my own circuit for turning this LCD into a screen that has a video component in...

thanks,
storm

Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Help with interfacing LCD... Reply with quote

Stormthereaper wrote:
its an LG LB070W02 heres the PDF:

http://www.beyondinfinite.com/lcd/Library/LG-Philips/LB070W02-A5.pdf

so my question is how would you guys describe to a absolute noob(aka me) where the heck to start? My ultimate goal is to make a photo viewer, and i am going to use a scandisk photoviewer off of ebay for cheap and it takes a standard component cable connection....so basically all i need to do is figure out how to design prototype my own circuit for turning this LCD into a screen that has a video component in...

thanks,
storm

It says that it has analog in, looks like VGA. All you will need to do is make or buy a composite to VGA converter.
Stormthereaper
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey thanx man for the reply, ok so i need to either make or buy one...making one, just seems funner(is that a word?).... so how do i go about finding out what chip i could use for controlling? i found the PIC 24FJ64GA002 from:

http://hackaday.com/2009/01/08/how-to-digital-picture-frame-100-diy/

but it seems that he used it for a 12bit display and my display is a 24bit... is it necessary to have a ore powerfull PIC? should i just google a component to vga converter? this lcd has a ribbon cable connector so i need to prob design/build my own circuit...what do you think?
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this panel not have a VGA header? If it doesn't hopefully you can figure out what ribbon cable wires are needed for VGA.

That Hackaday article shows a serial digital display so that won't be much use. I can find lots of commercial products that go from composite to VGA but I haven't found any schematics so you can DIY.
Stormthereaper
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no this thing, unfortunately does not have a VGA header, and its a display i got out of a Portable DVD player.... so.... i mean i still have the dvd player and everything so i can harvest the power supply thing for the backlight which shouldnt really be aproblem... but i dont know how to convert it from the ribbon to the VGA...if that will work.... could it really be that simple? have you ever heard of anything like this?

BTW it says you are the site admin, does htis mean you are the one running the forums or the whole site?

thanks,
storm
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stormthereaper wrote:
no this thing, unfortunately does not have a VGA header, and its a display i got out of a Portable DVD player.... so.... i mean i still have the dvd player and everything so i can harvest the power supply thing for the backlight which shouldnt really be aproblem... but i dont know how to convert it from the ribbon to the VGA...if that will work.... could it really be that simple? have you ever heard of anything like this?

BTW it says you are the site admin, does htis mean you are the one running the forums or the whole site?

thanks,
storm

I was thinking computer monitor LCD, if it's from a DVD player it may have a simple way to get composite in. Unfortunately I am not sure what that would be...

Yes, I run the entire site.
Stormthereaper
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice, well do you happen to know where or how i might be able to find out...cause im kinda a noob when it comes to this kind of stuff. lol.or should i just experiment?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Anything goes All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: