FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

RCA Surround Sound System- No Sound

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pittspeng
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: RCA Surround Sound System- No Sound Reply with quote

ok so earlier today i went to my friends and he gave me his rca sound system. its about 6 or 7 yrs old. however there is one problem, the speakers work i have tested them but it wont transmit the sound from the receiver to the speakers. the receiver does everything correctly (visually on the outside) but transmit the sound. does anyone have an idea to what might be the problem inside the receiver itself?

specs:
5 speakers (2 are 10 inches tall and 4.5 inches wide, 2 are wall mountable and 3.5 inches tall and 5 inches wide, and the last is the center speaker bout 9 inches wide and 4 inches tall)
serial number is: 1623 14185 (as noted on the back of the reciever)
120 watts

Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: RCA Surround Sound System- No Sound Reply with quote

pittspeng wrote:
ok so earlier today i went to my friends and he gave me his rca sound system. its about 6 or 7 yrs old. however there is one problem, the speakers work i have tested them but it wont transmit the sound from the receiver to the speakers. the receiver does everything correctly (visually on the outside) but transmit the sound. does anyone have an idea to what might be the problem inside the receiver itself?

specs:
5 speakers (2 are 10 inches tall and 4.5 inches wide, 2 are wall mountable and 3.5 inches tall and 5 inches wide, and the last is the center speaker bout 9 inches wide and 4 inches tall)
serial number is: 1623 14185 (as noted on the back of the reciever)
120 watts

Did it have this problem before it was given to you or was it working? If it was given to you because it doesn't work have a look at the power amp chip. I would assume that there is a single large amp chip that provides all of the speaker outputs since that is the way most systems are going these days. I have not trouble shot one of these before but I would assume that there is a small input signal that you can look for with an oscilloscope.
pittspeng
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: RCA Surround Sound System- No Sound Reply with quote

nah when it was given to me my friend told me that something was wrong with the receiver (he isnt a technical guy so he didnt wanna mess with it). ill go ahead and check that out later today cause i have to head for work soon.
ginbot86
HG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a 9V battery and touch both wires (OF THE SPEAKER) to the terminals and see if you hear a "bup" sound from the speaker. If not, it's the speakers that are damaged, or the speakers and the receiver are toast. And that's some toast you won't want to spread jam on! Wink [/i]
pittspeng
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but the speakers work i have tested them already. its something in the receiver. none of the wires r loose and i can find anything else wrong. wat im assuming is that (cause i dusted it as soon as i got it and its 7 yrs old appx)(and i used the can of compressed air that u can get at local stores) the dust musta done something to mess with it. i know it can happen to computers so im not ruling that out
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: