FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

device housing gps receiver and sim card help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryan2651

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: device housing gps receiver and sim card help! Reply with quote

Hey guys, im not electronically minded so i was just wanting to ask a quick question. would it be possible to build a small device that has a gps receiver in it, and can house a sim card? obviously like a phone with gps capabilities, but i have no need for a phone. the sim card is to connect to wireless broadband, so the device would need to be programmable. i basically want it to send gps information over the internet, by itself, automated. is this at all possible, or do these devices already exist? thanks in advance guys

Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: device housing gps receiver and sim card help! Reply with quote

ryan2651 wrote:
Hey guys, im not electronically minded so i was just wanting to ask a quick question. would it be possible to build a small device that has a gps receiver in it, and can house a sim card? obviously like a phone with gps capabilities, but i have no need for a phone. the sim card is to connect to wireless broadband, so the device would need to be programmable. i basically want it to send gps information over the internet, by itself, automated. is this at all possible, or do these devices already exist? thanks in advance guys

Have a look at this device.
http://www.gpss.tripoduk.com/chase.htm
ryan2651

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re Reply with quote

I dont want it to use sms to update the position. I want it to use wireless broadband.
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Re Reply with quote

ryan2651 wrote:
I dont want it to use sms to update the position. I want it to use wireless broadband.

For a prototype I would use an iPhone or something similar. I am not sure what type of device could connect to the cell network and send data but is not a cell phone. Why do you not want to use a cell as the base device?
ryan2651

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: re Reply with quote

too expensive. i want a small self contained automated device that updates gps co-ordinates to a server over wireless broadband. so it would have a gps receiver and a sim card spot. i dont know what else it would need to work. a microchip of some sort i suppose. it seems like a basic device. any quick ideas on how one could be built?
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

ryan2651 wrote:
too expensive. i want a small self contained automated device that updates gps co-ordinates to a server over wireless broadband. so it would have a gps receiver and a sim card spot. i dont know what else it would need to work. a microchip of some sort i suppose. it seems like a basic device. any quick ideas on how one could be built?

If you only want a few of these it would be much more expensive to design than it would be to use an existing device that you could purchase for a few hundred dollars. If this is a product idea that is a different story...
ryan2651

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: re Reply with quote

im going to want hundreds Very Happy
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ryan,

As a start I would speak to a design engineer who is knowledgeable of the MB86K22 chip by Fujitsu. I think that would give you a good idea of the costs involved in producing such a device.
http://www.fujitsu.com/ca/en/services/edevices/microelectronics/broadbandwireless/products/index_four.html

"This RF IC, which was built using CMOS process technology, supports 2.3GHz, 2.5GHz, and 3.5GHz, almost all the frequencies set by the WiMAX Forumô. This offers mobile WiMAX terminal manufacturers the opportunity to develop global WiMAX devices. The MB86K52 also supports MIMO and beamforming technology, which are essential for mobile WiMAX Wave 2. Fujitsuís mobile WiMAX RF LSI fully complies with the IEEE 802.16e-2005 standard and can support multiple operating frequency bands with several channel bandwidths. At the same time, MB86K52 provides a lower noise figure (NF) at the receiver and better error vector magnitude (EVM/RCE) at the transmitter when compared to the previous generation RF ICs. The chip connects to a baseband IC through a 4-wire SPI interface and analog IQ interfaces. When paired with Fujitsuís baseband solution, the RF IC is able to conduct auto-IQ mismatching calibration, which further improves system performance. This mobile WiMAX RF LSI can also be utilized by next-generation PHS technology based on orthogonal frequency division multiplexing."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: