FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

RS232 Chip help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
excentric

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: RS232 Chip help Reply with quote

I am currently rewiring an touch window that was designed for a mac to work with pc. not really a big challenge seeing how once i got it apart the board inside the device is wired to work with a serial input. what i am having a hard time figuring out is i have to add a resistor to the board and i have to make sure i have the correct wiring to the serial decoder.
The chip model is MAX232CPE. i have the spec sheet for it. I am just having a hard time looking at it. i haven't done electronics in about 3 years. Any help would be apreciated.

Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: RS232 Chip help Reply with quote

excentric wrote:
I am currently rewiring an touch window that was designed for a mac to work with pc. not really a big challenge seeing how once i got it apart the board inside the device is wired to work with a serial input. what i am having a hard time figuring out is i have to add a resistor to the board and i have to make sure i have the correct wiring to the serial decoder.
The chip model is MAX232CPE. i have the spec sheet for it. I am just having a hard time looking at it. i haven't done electronics in about 3 years. Any help would be apreciated.

Hi excentric,

Welcome to the forum. I will try to understand the question to give you a good answer.

The touch window (same as a touch pad?) was designed for and operates correctly on a Mac. From what I remember the Mac serial connector is not the standard DB9 connector as it is with a normal PC. I assume that the company makes (or you have created) drivers for this device for a PC.

I am not sure why circuit modifications are needed? I would assume you would just need to use an adapter cable?
excentric

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i am wiring it to work with a serial out. Once i get that working my goal is to make it ps2. The main reason i am messing with this is to try and relearn some things i have forgotten. here is a link to the screen its self.
http://www.synapseadaptive.com/edmark/prod/tw/default.htm
might make it easier to understand what it is. The new versions of it have usb capabilities. I do have PC drivers for it. i am not concerned so much any more on the resistor. than i am and info on to chip of advice. i have already rewired the one on my own with little success , my pc does not see it. So i am back to re- science out the circuit layout. i will draw a schematic of it sometime this weekend i think just so i have a better reference.
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a complex project.

Here is some information that may help.
http://pinouts.ru/InputCables/MousePs2Serial_pinout.shtml

http://www.gedanken.demon.co.uk/rs232-converters/ps2.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: