FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

Anybody know how to replace a LCD lamp in a laptop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ndev2k

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Anybody know how to replace a LCD lamp in a laptop Reply with quote

My Compaq Presario laptop's LCD Backlight has died and I can't see the screen. I have been quoted 75 to replace it but I think I may attempt it myself and if I fail I can just plug the laptop into my monitor and use it as a desktop computer.

Does anybody know of any guides that would show me how to do this and any links to sites that will sell the bulbs.

Thanks in advance

Tekwiz
HG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First you have to determine if it is actually the lamp that is faulty. CCFL lamps, like those in lappys, don't fail often. Usually the problem is in the lamp inverter or control circuitry. If there were no prior symptoms, like flickering or dark edges, the lamp is likely not the culprit. Actual repair procedures vary by lappy type, so you basically have to look & see. Unless you are experienced in precision electronics repair, this is best left up to the pros.
ndev2k

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I might just have to get it repaired and bite the bullet and pay.
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taken apart a few laptops (that were dead already). From the size of the circuitry I would say trouble shooting and repair would be very difficult. Unless it is board replacement.
ginbot86
HG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the CCFL is a fluorescent lamp, so it contains mercury, and mercury is dangerous. You DON'T want to break it. So if you have rather pudgy fingers, call a pro.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: