FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

Graphic Equilizer Wall Art

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gunslinger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Graphic Equilizer Wall Art Reply with quote

So, firstly, hi guys and gals. What an inspiring site this is! And a heck of a lot of support from you guys, i feel like i'm in safe hands here.

Here's what i want to do...

I want to create a graphic equalizer that will illuminate and blink in time to my music. Each bar, as a graphic equalizer does, will be dependant on the instrument and pitch.

Its going to be pretty big, about the size of a 37" television.

I know this will probably be thousands of LED's, what i need to know is, is there already a piece of software 'out there' i can use? will i need to write my own software? Also, what would be my best option (if i have an option) to power all these. I would imagine it would probably use about 6000+ LED's.

Any help would be much appreciated, oh i just had a thought, how about using fibre optics? would i still be able to have the differentiating levels?
Hmm... interesting.

So there ya go, thanks guys.

Tekwiz
HG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Graphic Equilizer Wall Art Reply with quote

Gunslinger wrote:
So, firstly, hi guys and gals. What an inspiring site this is! And a heck of a lot of support from you guys, i feel like i'm in safe hands here.

Here's what i want to do...

I want to create a graphic equalizer that will illuminate and blink in time to my music. Each bar, as a graphic equalizer does, will be dependant on the instrument and pitch.

Its going to be pretty big, about the size of a 37" television.

I know this will probably be thousands of LED's, what i need to know is, is there already a piece of software 'out there' i can use? will i need to write my own software? Also, what would be my best option (if i have an option) to power all these. I would imagine it would probably use about 6000+ LED's.

Any help would be much appreciated, oh i just had a thought, how about using fibre optics? would i still be able to have the differentiating levels?
Hmm... interesting.

So there ya go, thanks guys.

A couple of points to think about. First, look into the LM3914 & 15 LED bargraph driver ICs. Each of these chips will support a 10 step LED bargraph, & they can be cascaded for more steps. They are available in both linear & logrithmic response. You can parallel as many 'bands' as you desire.

Second, why thousands of LEDs? You only need 1 LED per bargraph segment. For a large display, use more powerful LEDs, backlighting translucent segments. There are some awfully powerful LEDs available these days.
Another possible approach would be to obtain a large video screen, & use one of the many, many equalizer display programs that are available. Smile
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That chip is very interesting
http://www.national.com/mpf/LM/LM3914.html

Here is a project that uses is:
http://www.radiolocman.com/shem/schematics.html?di=50651
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> LED Projects All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: