FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

Bridge Rectifier
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tekwiz
HG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rrold1 wrote:
It is a 12 volt battery charger but the batteries are VERY small. Imagine AA batteries wired to supply 12 volts. They charge in about an hour.

I'll try it as is and see what happens.

Thanks,

Steve

In that case, no additional heatsink should be necessary. I recommend that you check the batteries, cell by cell, as one or two shorted cells could have caused the original failure, by increasing the battery pack's current draw.
Eric

rrold1
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be a mute point. I managed to get the new rectifier installed but something else must have fried since it did not solve the problem. At least the fuse doesn't blow now.

As it turned out, it was a good thing that I did not get the original component. It would have blocked my view of the top side pads. It can be tough to judge how much heat/solder it takes to get a good joint on both sides of a double sided board and it took more than one try.

Back to playing with my meter...

Steve
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that. I have been there before... I used to be a service tech and there would often be a time where the main power supply went bad and took out many other boards when it went, or the root cause of the power supply failing was due to a defective system card.

Worst thing is when a thousand dollar power supply is installed and is blown by the same issue that killed the original supply. Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: