FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

How do I reduce 12v to 9v?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Project_Nightmare
HG Master

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have perfected my buck circuits Confused but wait there's more, I have also got a design for a buck-boost and a boost converter somewhat also completed Twisted Evil

Difficulties of the the boost circuit was difficult because most of the electronics hooked it it would not be able to stand the voltages, so it requires a lot of voltage dividers. Then their was the problem of having the switch dump the inductors voltage into the capacitor, I solved that by having the circuit respond to current changes. Finally there was the problem of the regulators, I made one of the regulators to stop the voltage flowing over the inductor when the capactor stored a specific amount of voltage (therortically, if i did not, the voltage would be infinite if there was no load) to save power and another to limit the output voltage for the device load.

The difficulties of the buck-boost were pritty much the same as the boost with the exception of the problem with negative voltages. This problem caused the regulators and switch to malfunction. With some deep thought, I was able to create some cleaver solutions to fix this problem (and use one of them on the buck converter).

Hopefully, I can tweak the circuits and post it sometime after wednesday the 12, after my finals Confused

Xed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job and good luck in refining the circuit Smile

It would be interisting to know in how much energy would go to waste in using this, compared to the op-amp/741 methods.

I think in due time we should prepare a table listing the various circuits, the advantages, disavantages, complexity, availability, cost, energy effeciency, and other factors. Rolling Eyes
Project_Nightmare
HG Master

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really sure that these SMPS circuits waste a lot more power and cost more also than the manufactured versions of them. The biggest explaination of this powerloss is that I made my circuit so you can change the parts used and adjust the settings, instead of the manufacturer's pre-set parts and, if the IC allows, somewhat adjustable settings.
However, if you want them to be versitile, understand how they work, and just wanting to make them, try my version.
Mon1018
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advise guys.
This is a great article - thank you for writing it!
This post is pretty nice!
I'd support you 100%!!! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: