FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

Modified Ink Jet Printer *NEED HELP*

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilco1973

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Modified Ink Jet Printer *NEED HELP* Reply with quote

I am an artist who would like to convert an ink jet printer into something that could be made to print on a large surface , without having to utilize it's roller assembly. This would mean removing the printer's roller assembly and possibly more of it's plastic exterior parts.

I figure that I would place the printer on top of the surface (wherever I wanted to print an image), and the surface itself would have to move slowly (mimicking the printers roller assembly). I'm thinking of it as a large "stamp-like" tool.

I will attach a VERY crude MS Paint diagram illustrating my idea.

Is this possible? Is there an easier way than what I am invisioning?

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Turd
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe use the rollers as wheels to move the whole printer, then after it prints a page move it over then print another page and so on Very Happy

eric
Wilco1973

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Turd

Big fan of Kenny Rogers' Jackass, btw. Laughing

Do you think that a printer would still work if I took off the roller assembly (in order to have direct contact with the paper)?

I wonder if the turning of the roller assembly mechanism is a key part of the printing program's process. For instance, would I just get an error message because according to the printer, there would be something like a "paper jam".

Perhaps I could disconnect the roller assembly and just move it up out of the way , so that it still turns but is of no consequence to the actual printing

I should also state that I am not looking to get an absolutley perfect image. I would not mind a little variance.
Turd
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Will Sasso rocks Laughing

Theres a small switch inside that tells the printer that it has a sheet of paper loaded. It probably won't detect the missing stepper motor and roller.

I think ink-jet cartridges can spray a good distant, maybe over an inch.

So, if you removed a good amount of the bottom of the printer, to get the ink-jet cartridges close enough to the paper, you could use the existing stepper motor to run a set of wheels to drive and print over a large sheet of paper.
The only problem would be when it tries to "load another sheet". It would drive ahead leaving a white space.

eric
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: