FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

Hack Request

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> New Projects Currently Being Developed
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Hack Request Reply with quote

Since I didn't see a forum for Hack Requests I figure this might be a good place to ask.

About 18 months ago I purchased a NetGear SC101 Network Dual Hard Drive Enclosure. Well the thing died and is now a paperweight or maybe a doorstop and is no longer in warranty. I have since found out that I'm not the only one to experience this, in fact most people who bought it had the same experience and now own this little $200 doorstop. I have since replaced it with a more reliable model.

My request is for someone to hack this toaster/brick/paperweight and make it usable again so that my $200 doesn't go completely down the drain. I understand it uses Linux which I know nothing about.

Is anyone up to the challenge?

histery

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey ronack,

any news about a hacked and proprietary update for the SC101?
I do have the same issue her, not willing to play around further with this original OS and that bad support of Netgear.

Let me know, if you found a nice solution how to pimp that device...
ronack

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I just hacked my sc101, really a simple little hack, not very pretty. I am using it for power for 2 IDE hard drives just like it was designed but I'm leaving the front off so I can connect up 2 USB to IDE cables, just connect to a USB hub or directly to the PC and viola you have a dual drive USB enclosure no fuss no muss. I may glue a small USB hub to the thing so all I have to do is run 1 cable. Maybe jam all the extra USB cable into the thing to reduce all those cables.
histery

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing yeaah that's how i use it at the moment as well.
Two USB-IDE Cables and direlty connected to my notebook, than using 'robocopy' to sync both HDD each night.
So that's RAID1 isn't it? Twisted Evil

No for real, isn't there a way to get somehow into that machine and run another kind of linux, so that we are able to use it at least for something, and not wasting the RJ45 connector??
ronack

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you could telnet into it I don't know and I don't know if I'm going to try. But hey it would be nice to hear from someone who has hacked it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> New Projects Currently Being Developed All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: