FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

CPU chassis fan to my psp or battery?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lachdahnan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: CPU chassis fan to my psp or battery? Reply with quote

Hey all. I found these forums today because I am looking to build a wireless fan assembly using either normal batteries, or lith batteries. I would prefer lith since you can recharge them. And I figured since my PSP uses rechargable batteries might as well try using the mini USB on that. I saw the other post about the USB pinout and how that works. So I am started on my way, but I dont know if I can just directly wire positive to negative and go for it, or if I should pick up a resistor or two to keep things more efficient.
Heres what I have for fan selection:

Link Depot - DC12V 0.11A

and

Link Depot - DC12V 0.16A

Feel free to speak to me like a child when it comes to this stuff as my knowledge is very sparse. Thank you!

Project_Nightmare
HG Master

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if you can recharge lithium batteries by directly hooking to a voltage souce equal to their voltage output but there are changers schematics for how to make changers for them online.

If you where going to run a 12 volt fan directly to batteries, they would need to produce 12 volts in series or the fan would run slower or not at all. For lithium batteries, you would need 4 of them because their output is 3 volts. Additionally, you might have to run several of those series in parallel so that it can run longer or reduce the chance that the batteries might overheat. Also, I would not recommend lithium batteries because they are quite expensive and the 1.5 volt ones sold at the store are not rechargeable.

A usb port would not be able to change the batteries unless you change each battery individually or use a boost converter. This is due to usb being only able to put out 5 volts. Thus the changer would need to confisate for this flaw.

Since I do not know how you are going to be using this fan, I cannot give you info on how to construct the circuit Rolling Eyes
Lachdahnan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. Thanks for responding first off. Very Happy Im keeping it pretty simple, or ... at least I think I am. I just want to take normal fans that plug into a CPU chassis and power them using a battery. The only reason why I brought lithium into the picture was because they are rechargable.

"If you where going to run a 12 volt fan directly to batteries, they would need to produce 12 volts in series or the fan would run slower or not at all."

This is pretty much what I would like to do. So as long as I am pushing out at least 12V, then it should power the fan properly? Maybe not for very long though? Thanks again!
Project_Nightmare
HG Master

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lachdahnan wrote:
This is pretty much what I would like to do. So as long as I am pushing out at least 12V, then it should power the fan properly?

Yep Very Happy But if you don't want to carry around so many batteries and are not going to run it continuously, you might want to use a boost converter Razz
Lachdahnan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK! I went out and bought some batteries. I picked up 1 9V, and a 4 pack of AA 1.5V. To properly get 12V im not 100% sure on how to wire them up. I believe, to achieve this I would want to put all the positves on the 3 batteries to the positive on the wire of the fan, then the 3 negatives to the negative wire?

PS. And the method described would be called parallel correct?
And series would be when you put positive to negative and so on?
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool idea. If you want to use AA batteries you will need 8 of them to make your 12 volts. To hook them up in series you need to have them wired like in this picture (note the voltages and number of batteries are different but the concept is the same)

What I would suggest is you use a normal charger to charge them. When they are charged and ready to use place them in a battery holder like this:
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/BH-342/970/BATTERY_HOLDER,_4_AA_CELLS_.html

You would need 2 of the holders wired in series, that means holder #1 would have its red wire going to the red wire of the fan, and black wire going to the red wire of holder #2. Then the black wire of holder #2 would go to the black wire of the fan.

Basically you can think of the holder as a 6 volt battery since internally the 4 batteries are in series.

First image from:
http://www.vdcelectronics.com/charging_multi_batteries.htm#Series%20Connected%20with%20a%2036%20Volt%20BatteryMINDer
Project_Nightmare
HG Master

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I doubt you need to run it that long on 8 AA batteries, you can reduce the amount of batteries with a boost converter and 4 batteries.

1st off how much do you know about soldiering? 2nd do you know how to read circuit schematics?

If you do, then you can build a boost converter that can make 4 batteries (6 volts) produce 12 volts. I'd recommend the MAX732CPA+ from Maxim. Maxim even gives out samples and pay for shipping for free! ( http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/1463/t/or )

Schematic: http://datasheets.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/MAX732-MAX733.pdf

Parts for this converter that needs to be purchased includes:
1 x MAX732CPA+
2 x 0.1 uF Capacitors
1 x 150 uF Capacitor
1 x 300 uF Capacitor
1 x 0.15 uF Capacitor
1 x 0.01 uF Capacitor
1 x 2200 pF Capacitor
1 x 50 uH Inductor
1 x 1N5817
1 x On/Off Switch
1 x 4 AA Battery Pack
1 x 4 AA Batteries
1 x Breadboard or stripboard (or anything that is ment to hold electronic components)
1 x Soldier and Soldiering Iron
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to love free samples! Smile
Lachdahnan

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! I got it to work, little bugger really whirls fast too haha! I know how to solder, and know a little about schematics, the rest Im sure I can pick up as I go along. The converter sounds like a good idea all the way around so I will have to give that a try as well. Thanks so much for the help! This is so cool! Literally ! Very Happy
Project_Nightmare
HG Master

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NP Cool Good Luck on the project

And just to be safe, make sure all the capacitors are rated above 12 volts

Some good places that I've found to buy parts:
Jameco.com
Digikey.com (Remember that there is a $5 fee if the order is under $20)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: