FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

A possible fix for burnt out LEDs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
seth3d

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: A possible fix for burnt out LEDs Reply with quote

I burnt out a few "super-bright" LEDs with over-voltage. Oops! Super bright and super expensive, so I was rather disappointed that I did this.. more than once actually.

A few of the LEDs have sticky stuff from the reel tape that they came on so I thought maybe I would try to burn the glue off with a lighter. One of them started working for a bit, so I thought I must be onto something. I tried heating the leads up to almost red hot and got nothing. Next I heated the plastic part on top to almost smoking and got nothing.

I left the dead LEDs in the prototype board and went on to something else when something surprising happened. The LED which I heated the top of started flickering and as it cooled off went to nearly full brightness!

I did this with four other LEDs and it worked to varying degrees on all except the one which was DOA.

Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to say, once they are gone there is usually no bringing them back. I am surprised that you had as much success reviving the ones that you did.

In case you are looking for some more please have a look at our selection of LEDs. Smile
http://alan-parekh.vstore.ca/index.php/cPath/4

People love our $3.00 shipping. (Sorry for the sales pitch...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> LED Projects All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: