FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

Have I lost my mind?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Have I lost my mind?
This sounds like a cool project
100%
 100%  [ 2 ]
The 70's are dead
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
You're in over your head
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
You should find another forum
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

avenuegirl
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Have I lost my mind? Reply with quote

Hi all. I'm for the most part a "crafty" gal, but I have a project I've been mulling over a couple of years now and just need to get it done.

Here is a little history of how I got here.

I like the 70's, and disco stuff. I was surfing around ebay, looking at the vintage color organs and noticed many of them were beat up but still commanding a fairly high price.

I began collecting some pictures of different models, and even have come up with several solutions for displays that people can make themselves.

I want to put together an ebook, that will help the non technical person make their own unit (using a kit) or that will assist the parent who needs to help their kid with the science project - and after the science project is over they will have some nice options of how to display and actually use the color organ.

I looked at kits myself initially and it confused me, not knowing what I was looking at or if I would be able to tackle such a project all in the name of disco.

I had found for $5 each, 2 channel boards, and they were minimal on the assembly and I was able to use and find some interesting things and put them together. Those are no longer available.

I got my brother started on a huge 4 channel project, but his life has gotten in the way, he lives far from me, and I feel like if I wait for him I'll never get this thing off the ground.

I'm looking to break things down a bit further and give some firm and easy to understand explanation of the parts and how they work.

I'm looking for help to take the intimidation out of the project, and I want to encourage safety.

For your entertainment, I have added the polling option.

I am looking for a little help here, and ultimately would like to be able to assist someone in return.

Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have some links to the vintage ones that you are talking about.
What do you need it to do?
Are you thinking of making an electronic project from scratch and sell it in kit form? If so what type of electronic experience do you have.

I am curious what the safety concern is?

Sorry for the 20 questions... Smile
avenuegirl
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alan!

I have been saving some pictures, as many of the links (some from ebay) seem to go bye bye after the units are sold. I planned to photoshop the pictures and put them in a gallery on a website, so they may be seen for inspiration.

I wanted to also include a gallery for projects that were newly created, that people could share any ideas they may come across.

I have come across different ways to house the units, and have different suggestions to discuss as far as the effects of c7 vs twinkle lights vs led.

Also, I have experimented with repeating fresnel lens sheets, and stained glass paints and prismatic plastics.

I wanted to possibly provide the fresnel lens adhesive film to people via the web, available by the yard. This was a challenge to find the right material for a decent price.

I wanted to provide 3 general budgets and 3 projects to start. I wanted to make it a weekend activity. So if someone wanted to make their own disco box (or pair), they could see the ideas presented in the book, pick a budget, order all the materials needed, and be able to put the thing together in its entirety in a weekend. I noticed that even if you buy a regular "kit" you still need to purchase knobs, rubber shrink, an electronics enclosure box, solder, solder iron, etc. To make a finished unit that one could sell or enjoy for themselves is a real hassle.

I'm working on some non traditional housing that can be replicated by the average guy as well.

I have also tried to minimize the number of tools needed, and make available options for someone who may not live in a large house and may not have a lot of room to really spread out and make a mess.

I would like to include a couple of schematics, and have seen on occasion a vintage schematic for sale, but I would have no idea how to create one myself. I personally get a little antsy when I see some of the warnings others put on schematics they have created.

I have no official electrical experience, and once I bought a kit I realized it was kind of a "paint by numbers" as far as figuring out what goes where.

I have already planned to have disclaimers left and right, but I want to make sure that if someone does copy the plans I provide, that the units will be sound and no one burns their own house down.

I want to include proper instruction on soldering, type to use, how to test the circuits, how to make sure there is proper ventilation, am I worrying too much? I want this to be an easy to follow step by step and there will be a lot of pictures. I find I personally learn best this way, and I think others will be more likely to try something when they see real details.

I want this book to be a one stop source on how to make your own disco lights.

I can get a cool light show on my computer, but it is not the same as setting up a few sound activated color organs around a room and playing some music.

When I started my little project, this type of book or manual would have saved me lots of money and lots of time. It needs to be written for someone like me who thought "oh, that looks really cool" but didn't have a clue on how to replicate what they were seeing. I need some of the technical mumbo jumbo explained as simply as possible.

Here's a couple of auctions going on now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-COLOR-ORGAN-disco-70s-light_W0QQitemZ280198327061QQihZ018QQcategoryZ29943QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Color-Organ-Light-from-1970s_W0QQitemZ200197727677QQihZ010QQcategoryZ14984QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I don't know what the final price will be on these, but I have seen some of the units sell at times for hundreds of dollars, and I don't really know if it is because it is a vintage item or just because there are some other freaks out there like me who like to re-live the 70's. Some of these things are over 30 years old and I just find it amazing.
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might not be the way you want to go but I would use LEDs instead of normal lights. The front could probably be made from a normal ceiling light diffuser panel. The ones that are used in drop tile installs.

This design does not have things such as LED current limiting and many other things that would be needed to make it the beginnings of a kit but may give you some inspiration.

http://forum.hackedgadgets.com/viewtopic.php?t=173&sid=31fb31ec4cc1c253e24baa35dd03fc4c
avenuegirl
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually find the warmth of the c7's to be more visually pleasing, followed by the twinkle lights.

I realize the LED's are more energy efficient, but when I sampled them next to the others they just felt like they were lacking. I know they're supposed to be brighter, but I really felt they were missing something.

Thanks for that link, and I will re-visit the thought.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Welcome All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: