FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

SOLAR RECHARGEABLE LED LIGHTS FOR 3rd WORLD NATIONS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
triumphman
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: SOLAR RECHARGEABLE LED LIGHTS FOR 3rd WORLD NATIONS Reply with quote

Shocked
I need some of you techy lads to help me put together a Solar Rechargeable Light box for third world villages who have nothing but a basic roof and four walls to live in.
I have a prototype drawing, but I lack the skills to choose the right
LEDs, transistors, or diodes to make it work. I figure an 8 in. by 5 in. panel size and box would work. I also estimated about 9 LEDs per inch. This may or may not work, but its a start. That would mean 360 LEDs total underneath the box on folding or telescoping legs. The box would hold the circuit board and on top would be the solar panels that should
be able to tilt twards the sun in a window or on a table. Rechargeable Lithium Ion or some other rechargeable batteries need to be connected
inside and powerful enough to light the LEDs for a few hours or more.
I even think a USB port on the side would be nice to charge/use a cell phone or other device. If I can put together a prototype that really
is reliable and works (simple & inexpensive construction).?
We could really make life a little better for some very needy people. Imagine living without lights, water, all of the things we take for granted here in the USA! I also have some contacts for possible funding for
quantity production. Please let me hear from you with tech specs. Thanks.
My address is hblanco845@peoplepc.com.

Turd
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds cool Very Happy

So, it's not a flashlight it's more of an area light?
And is it for indoor use or outdoor use?

If it's for indoors then maybe a kit with a solar panel for on top of the roof and a battery pack (AAs or a gel cell) and light for inside.
That way most every thing is already available, no need to manufacture anything.

eric
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of square footage does this unit have to light?
triumphman
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Solar Rechargeable 3rd World LED Lights Reply with quote

Answering your questions: Its an area light, portable, adjustable, efficient and environmentally friendly (green) . It will light up the inside of a small hut , say 8 ft. by 10 ft.. When can you guys help me put one together ?A prototype will probably need tweeking to get it right. A list of components and sourcelist is a good place to start. Schematics would be
nice too. I am guessing at all this since woodworking is my forte. I could use less LEDs if they were powerful enough. Batteries to charge? LiH or NmH? Some things to consider! I don't think Radio (rat shack) is the way to go for now- too costly retail. Someone said free samples from a company- can't remember the name. Confused
Turd
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this will help Very Happy

eric
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Anything goes All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: