FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

Simple LED circuit advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
archangel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Simple LED circuit advice Reply with quote

Hi all.

Sorry if this is a little simple but i need some advice.

Im getting married in a week and for the table decorations we have engraved mirrors. The mirrors are laser engraved from the back to remove the silvering and basically leave glass.

I want to place a light behind these mirrors so that the text will be illuminated. I figure the best route is a simple white LED circuit.

Its been many a year since i did technology and design at school and im afraid im a little rusty.

Would anyone be able to recommended a UK supplier that i could get the LED's, resistors, battery holders etc.

I'm thinking around 20 LED's per circuit and im going to have 10 tables.

Thanks for any advice

Turd
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the UK but Alan sells them at a very good price Very Happy

eric
Project_Nightmare
HG Master

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, Alan has the best prices I've seen for a reasonable price, even if you don't want a bulk amount, I still suggest you get it from him because it's cheaper either way. Twisted Evil In some ways, I'm supprised that he hasn't raised it to match the major retail sellers and make a bigger profit Surprised

Powering 20 LEDs is a waste of batteries, unless that you don't want the cords to be showing. I suggest you use a wall wart. Then comes the problem of wiring. There are two ways to wire this, use one resistor for a series of LEDs or have each LED with it's own resistor wired in parallel. I suggest wiring it in parallel because resistors are cheap from retail stores (they sell bags of 100 for $1 to $3) and if someone breaks one of the LEDs, wires, or resistors, the others will still stay on.

And there are a lot of places the have the equations and calculators to do the math for what you need. (Such as battery output voltage for the resistor needed, voltage and amp requirements for a string of leds, etc.) Or you can give us more information on what you have/need for us to do it for you Very Happy
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the LED plug guys. Smile

Congrats on getting married archangel. I would love to see some pictures of what you come up with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> LED Projects All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: