FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

What are good values to use for my SMPS projects?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> New Projects Currently Being Developed
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Project_Nightmare
HG Master

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: What are good values to use for my SMPS projects? Reply with quote

Some of my questions on parts are:

What is a good inductor value to use that is (preferably much) greater than 100uH (and is not overkill like 1H)?
What is a good max voltage I should have the circuit generate?
What should be the maximum wattage rating you would be willing to get for the resistor that would be taking the most punishment? (Is dependent on the inductor rating. Less inductance, greater wattage rating requirement. [100uH if I recall correctly would need a 15 watt resistor Shocked ])

Project_Nightmare
HG Master

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed the problem with the resistor wattage amount (I got it so it would only take 1 watt, it's probably going to be really hot if I get a resistor rate at that amount), now the other two questions are your guy's sugestions.
Project_Nightmare
HG Master

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I hate triple posting, but I got some values for my project. I am going to be making this project, but that might not be the best thing since the danger of high voltages (yes, as you saw from one of my previous posts, I am making a buck, boost, and buck-boost converter).
While thinking of good values to use as my max, I decided to use the wonderful Nixie Tube to determine the voltages. Thus, I made the max voltage setting 240v (but a nixe only needs 175-180 volts) and according to my simulation, I can easily run a clock of Nixies Tubes. The downside is that I'm going to get high wattage resistors and a large value for the inductor to be most effiecent at the conversion. Additonally, I'm worried about the voltage divider used to sense the voltage of the circuit because it needs to have a high ohm amounts and I don't know what would happen to the circuit when it's set at midranged voltages. I also got some equations I made that also apply for this project if someone wants to change things around on it. But I'm not going to releace anything until I make it or decided not to build it (and it's going to cost a lot).
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am no expert in those circuits, sorry I can't be of any assistance but I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Project_Nightmare
HG Master

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I am hoping that I can make something that is worthy of you to post on the blog's front page Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> New Projects Currently Being Developed All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: