FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

Christmas LED lights & wire cutters........

View previous topic :: View next topic  
everseeker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Christmas LED lights & wire cutters........ Reply with quote

OK, So Christmas came and went... Had a string of the new Blue LED lights on my tree...
after X-mas, the other lights got stored.... this string went to the workbench...
25 Blue LEDs... no transformer... (Resistor in the led lead?)
So, took a close look...
wire... plug to led#1is an odd duck... 3 leads! - 1 wire in, 2 out LED 2-15 are all "normal 2 lead LEDs and all in series with the first
LED 15 & 16 were also 3 legged.looked like they were some kinda crossover..... from 16 to other end, all LED's were again 2 leadin series on the..."Other leg" except for the very last... it too was a 3 legged one...
Cut 1 LED out of chain... Ohm check Inf both ways (huh?)
plug into 120v... 1 picosend long blue light then pfft
tried the rest of the first string of in-series lights... Nothing... no light, zippy

Other strand.. cut 1, touched leads to battery... zip, reversed... zip
entire second strand to battery... again with the zippy

So, anyone know how/if I can use the LED's??? What is their secret?
(What's with the bizzare 3 wire arrangement?)

Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't exactly follow the wiring you described but all LEDs are quite low voltage. They need to be current limited to operate properly. Have a look at this device which has quite typical specs.

http://alan-parekh.vstore.ca/product_info.php/cPath/4_6/products_id/15
Project_Nightmare
HG Master

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can also help, but I can't really understand what you are saying. Alan is right, they do need to be limited to the amount of current at any given voltage and their demand is quite small. Usually, in christmas lights, they have long strands of LEDs so the typical voltage going through them is reduced to a safe amount from all the voltage drops created from the LEDs. Thus they don't need a resistor if it is done correctly, though it is still unwise to do so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> LED Projects All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: