FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

CNC mill built from scratch (even the motor controller)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> New Projects Currently Being Developed
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you consider to buy the CNC kit?
Yes
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Maybe if it's really cheap
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
I'd rather build everything myself as you did!
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 6

davidbue
HG Junior

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: CNC mill built from scratch (even the motor controller) Reply with quote

Hi everybody.

Thoughout the last year, 3-4 of my projects has been featured on hackedgadgets.com. Now... several months has passed without any life signs from my workshop. This is because I've teamed up with two other hackedgadgets.com contributors and we've been working on a 100% "from-scratch" DIY CNC milling project. We've even buit our own electronics circuitry for motor control, that is compatible with varous commercial CNC software such as TurboCNC and Mach3.

I have made a full set of CAD drawing of all parts of the mill, and we've made detailed Eagle blueprints for all of the electronics. The plan is that we will oder a handfull of PCB boards from China and then sell the 3-axis CNC controller board as a very affordable kit, with all components needed (I don't plan to make any money on this) and then supply buyers with the plans and CAD drawings for building a CNC mill yourself.

Right now the tool spindle is under development, but the rest of the platform is up running. We've taped a pen on the gantry of the mill, and are currently using it as a pen-plotter.

You can see a video of this here:

http://www.volunteerlabrat.com/cnc-innovus.mov

When the mill is all done, I'll try to get Alan to post it on the main site.

Best regards
David

Nginuity
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of hobby controller board kits out there that you can build.....but if you could build a really good and reliable one, you could stand to make a good profit off of it....

All of the ones I have seen fall way short of a desirable motor controller, so yes, I would be interested in yours. Have I talked to you before? I am on CNCZone too.
davidbue
HG Junior

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Hi Nginuity Reply with quote

Hi Nginuity

Well...I don't think we've met on cnczone.com. I'm not a member of any CNC communities on the net. I just starte building Very Happy

I have paid notice to your nickname though. That might just be because i spend too much time on Hacked Gadgets Smile

I did my first true milling on the CNC mill yesterday. I'm using a Bosch grinder as tool spindle:

http://www.volunteerlabrat.com/images/bosch.jpg

My first milling job was the company logo at one of my teammates' firm:

http://www.volunteerlabrat.com/images/innovus.jpg

The job stopped prematurely due to the fact that I use the shareware version of Mach3 CNC. I'm buying the full version as soon as I feel I'm ready.

Best regards
David
Nginuity
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi Nginuity Reply with quote

davidbue wrote:
The job stopped prematurely due to the fact that I use the shareware version of Mach3 CNC. I'm buying the full version as soon as I feel I'm ready.

Until you can buy the full version of Mach3, you might want to check out SheetCam. It is a free full featured demo I believe.
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks and works great, If you want we this project could be featured twice on the main site.

Once with what you have now and how you got there... Some construction pics and/or videos could give readers a sense of how to tackle a large project such as that...

Then another article could be done when the project is complete and ready for purchase.

Something to think about anyway. Very Happy
davidbue
HG Junior

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Featuring the CNC mill. Reply with quote

Hi Alan.

I'm glad you like my project. Much effort has been put into both the design, mechanical construction, and the electronics of the project.

I've just drawn a 3D Hacked Gadgets thingy in ProEngineer Wildfire 3, and made a volume and surface milling sequence to process the part.

I hope to be able to purchase Mach3 and recieve my license tomorrow so I can run all the g-code that I've generated. I don't really know if their licenseing system works throughout the weekend, but if it does then I'll see if I can find the time to mill the part during this weekend, and bodge up a better video of the mill. It's a rather time consuming job. Maybe I'll do a time lapse video while the mill process the part. Hmm... We'll see how much time I can put aside for the task.

Then, hopefully, I'll have some material ready during the comming week. I'll let you know when I'm ready to get it featured on the front page by submitting the "Tip us" form at the main site.

It's nice to be able to contribute, and help keeping Hacked Gadget going strong!

Best regards
David
davidbue
HG Junior

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nginuity

Thanks for the tip. SheetCam looks nice and simple. Unfortunatly it's only 2 1/2D which does not really satisfy my needs. Very Happy I'm a demanding fellar.

Mach3 costs only 159$ which I find very reasonable. It's one of the most advanced hobby CNC engines outthere.

The only drawback of Mach3 so far is that the graphical theme of the software is one of the most appalling and ugly hickups I've ever seen. I really like software that is pure eyecandy (and that's why I'm a Apple/Mac addict) and I'm a bit ashamed that Mach3 is at display on the screen next to the CNC mill Wink

Well.. I can learn to live with that, when the software is so cheap.

Anyways... Thanks for the tip. I'll might as well give SheetCam a try one day when I have the time.

Best regards
David
davidbue
HG Junior

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again!

As a preparation for an article to be featured on the hackedgadgets main site, I've milled this plano-concave Hacked Gadgets sign today.

http://www.volunteerlabrat.com/images/HG.jpg

Best regards
David
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidbue wrote:
Hi again!

As a preparation for an article to be featured on the hackedgadgets main site, I've milled this plano-concave Hacked Gadgets sign today.

http://www.volunteerlabrat.com/images/HG.jpg

Best regards
David

Wow that looks sweet!
Weiss
HG Junior

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey David

I good a new idea for a HG sign.
If we make it in lexan and ad some blue LED's it will look reley great Wink

Well see you in the shop.
KW
Nginuity
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt mind having the cam file for that!
Weiss
HG Junior

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Nginuity

NP Wink
ivanirons

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: CNC Machine Stumble Reply with quote

Hey,

I just stumbled across this thread. The vid link didn't work for me, but the photo did. Good work. I like the concave routing of "Hacked Gadgets."

Ivan
http://www.cncinformation.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> New Projects Currently Being Developed All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: