FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

PCB button matrix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
weaselman50
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: PCB button matrix Reply with quote

I have started with a fairly simple mod to make a pc guitar controller for frets on fire. I got a $10 toy guitar controller with working buttons. I just ran into a problem with the frets pcb board. It has a really complex matrix that uses 14 buttons that you use for 7 actual buttons( press both down). What makes it even worse is that there is no obvious common ground(or any ground). The board only has 6 wires coming off for the 7 buttons. i don't posses a continuity tester either.

Can someone help me decipher the PCB or tell me an easier and fairly cheap solution. O by the way It's connecting to an x-box controller(gamepad).

Paired buttons are / in relation.

I am not experienced in electronics. about all I know is how buttons work and how to solder.

Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The common line is the top trace, it looks like it connects to all of the top switches. The other side if the switch is then jumpered to the lower switch which is then routed to the output.

So this control will be hooked up to a X-Box game controller that will be used by a computer? Or do I have that wrong? Your best bet is to use a controller that uses button presses as inputs so that you can simply rewire your new controller onto the old joystick.
weaselman50
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan wrote:
The common line is the top trace, it looks like it connects to all of the top switches. The other side if the switch is then jumpered to the lower switch which is then routed to the output.

So this control will be hooked up to a X-Box game controller that will be used by a computer? Or do I have that wrong? Your best bet is to use a controller that uses button presses as inputs so that you can simply rewire your new controller onto the old joystick.

I thought that the common was the top, but the garbage in the middle and the complexity on the right confused me. Can u inform me of the "jumpered" part.

Yes, the x-box controller has already been modified to be an usb joystick with simple button presses. Thats why I chose to try this out.

So having wire #1 as (-) and the rest being (+) will give me 4 buttons that can be pressed at the same time? If thats the case I can take the back Trigger buttons on the controller to make a fifth. Am I correct?

Thanks for the help
Turd
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll probably have to cut some tracks like this:

Cut were the red line is and connect the top two holes together for the common or ground.

Hope that help Very Happy

I can't see the pic too well so I hope I got it right.

eric
weaselman50
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turd wrote:
You'll probably have to cut some tracks like this:

Cut were the red line is and connect the top two holes together for the common or ground.

Hope that help Very Happy

I can't see the pic too well so I hope I got it right.

eric

What exactly would that do Button wise(which will be functional)? I only need 5 buutons to work that are on the left, but as I already said I can use four which looks too me a lot easier and make a button for the fifth.

I can also upload some more pictures once I have time.
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you want to have to press both upper and lower button to activate it? Or do you just want to be able to press a single button for operation?
weaselman50
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan wrote:
Did you want to have to press both upper and lower button to activate it? Or do you just want to be able to press a single button for operation?

It doesn't matter I just want the easiest way.
Turd
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weaselman50 wrote:
What exactly would that do Button wise(which will be functional)?
It should give you all seven buttons with one common.

eric
weaselman50
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turd wrote:
weaselman50 wrote:
What exactly would that do Button wise(which will be functional)?
It should give you all seven buttons with one common.

eric

I see what your talking about now, I have even rechecked to see if all buttons will work and this way I only need one button down and either works.I have to find some wire and I'm all set.

Thanks for the help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: