FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

How to wire an LED into a Guitar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
the_philth
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: How to wire an LED into a Guitar Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'd like to know if it's possible to wire an LED into a guitar's wiring to have the LED coincide with the volume of the guitar e.g., the LED gets brighter as the volume gets 'louder.'

Any info would help such as, what type of LED's I should/could use, resistor type/value(s), 9v battery etc...

Thanks guys!
~Phil

[edit]
Here's a diagram of the guitar's wiring!

the_philth
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone? This has got to be an über-simple project for you guys considering what I've read within these bulletin board walls! Unfortunately for me, I'm not sharp enough to figure this stuff out on my own.

Isn't this considered a challenge?
Peter3D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: How to wire an LED into a Guitar Reply with quote

The output on the 'output jack' is probably not enough to power a LED (2V/20mA). You need some form of pre-amplification. Have a look at : 'leds with audio'.

Cheers,
Peter
CAFriend

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: SPDT Reply with quote

I would say you need to replace the volume knob with one that is SPDT(Single Pull Double Throw) and add in a power source, but I'm not completely sure of that.
Neosamuri

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may sound simple but the thing with guitar pots is there not linear but logarithmic and so you would not get a linear output from the led as your turned it. If thats not a problem i think a transistor and 9 volt battery could do the trick. Id be interested in doing it to my guitar but the only thing is i modded mine to have 2 volume knobs from the factory 1 volume and one tone for both pickups. I'm not uber experience in this stuff but maybe someone knows an easy way to sample a logarithmic pots output to linear for the purposes of making a linear output on the led.

I'll do some more research and see if i can get a solution.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> LED Projects All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: