FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

PC case mod.. help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> New Projects Currently Being Developed
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlexCharp
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: PC case mod.. help! Reply with quote

I have a computer case thats collecting dust in my basement... it has a clear side and some leds... i see alot of potential for it, only thing is im a big noob, so if you guys could help me design it, throw some ideas my way, throw some ideas/advice my way

Thanks in advance

--Alex

AlexCharp
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: pics Reply with quote

pics of the case[/img]
Turd
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an idea once about using spent cartridges (.22, shotgun shells, 308 etc). as rivets on a case. They might look cool Very Happy

eric
AlexCharp
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: RE: Reply with quote

hah, that would be cool, only thing is im looking for something a bit more sleek, kinda like Leds and neon, i got 2 so i'll play around a bit
Turd
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. If your lookin for LEDs then check out Alan's store, he's got the best prices Very Happy

eric
AlexCharp
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: re: Reply with quote

nice, great prices
umm, when painting a computer, can i just use any old spray paint? or is there something special?
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have painted a few cases, I am not saying that I know what I am doing... But I just scuffed the case with 400 grit sand paper (both times they were beige boxes). Then I applied a coat of primer followed by the actual paint color. Turned out quite good and I used some cheap paint cans from Walmart.

It is best to take the case totally apart so that you don't have to worry about over spray.
precisewitem
HG Master

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first step is to pick a theme for the case overall. This includes a bsic topic, colors, and what mods you are going to do. Here's what I would try to do:

Modify the power button. You could replace the power button piece on the outside of the door with something else. this piece is basically a tube that pushes in the power button on the inside of the door. Try to find some sort of clear plastic piece that's the same size or close to the same size of the hole.

On the outside of the door there is that clear circle thing in the middle and those clear things on the top and bottom of it. I would try to sequence some LEDS between these three sections when the computer boots and shuts down. Have the LEDS be different colors, the middle one and the top / bottom another. When the computer boots sequence the middle first with a fade and then the top and bottom from left to right with timed blinks, that would be so cool looking.

Adding slim vertical windows to the door above the power button and on the other side would be cool. You could add a clear window, use something dark as a backing (maby a rough fabric even), and place el wire between the window and the dark backing. If you run the el wire in a symmetrical pattern on both sides it would look crazy.

I would get rid of that fan vent thing on the window side and cut a full square window instead of the sections.

Modding that vent thing under the door on the front wouldn't be hard. You could even add an extra cooling / exhaust fan there.

Thomas Edison
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> New Projects Currently Being Developed All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: