FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

USB Laser Data Transmitter Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
enatefox

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: USB Laser Data Transmitter Help Reply with quote

Hi, first post so thanks in advance for any help. I've seen links to send morse code through laser beams and thought that was neat. I am looking to rig a few wired USB cameras to my PC but the cords max out at 5 meters. What I want to do is make a USB adapter plug into a controller that will send the image+sound through the laser beam and direct it to my PC as if it were plugged into the USB port of the PC. Has anyone done this one yet? I figure with about a 1-3 mile range of beamy goodness I should be able to camera-up my house without the hassle and expense of wifi cameras but all that I have found translates data to morse code which I don't see working.
Any one have an idea?

I saw this:
scitoys.com/scitoys/scitoys/computers/laser/free_space_laser_data_transmitter.html
But I need to send any data through the beam and with 4 wires in the USB wire, it sounds complicated.

Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Have a look at this page for lots of information about the USB specification.
http://www.faculty.iu-bremen.de/birk/lectures/PC101-2003/14usb/FINAL%20VERSION/usb_protocol.html

A single laser would not work since USB is a bi-directional communication protocol. USB timing is also a tricky thing from what I hear. If it was one way RS232 I would say laser would be a great way to transmit but I am not so sure about USB. Confused
enatefox

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: About those USBs.. Reply with quote

Wow, I never realized the whole packet thing with USB. It just seemed to me that I could modulate the beam and not worry about the meaning of the flashes. On a positive note, I couldn't line-of-site the cameras anyway so I'll need to find another option. Thanks for the response but I am still determined to get the main idea to work albeit laser issues.
If I find anything I'll post a follow up for anyone interested...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Laser Projects All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: