FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

Help needed for my project.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thelordrrulzzz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Help needed for my project. Reply with quote

Hello guys i need some help regarding my ÁP based project.I have 2 projects in my mind one being a Door Lock and Key Idea and the other being a drop bridge kind of thing. Rolling Eyes

For the first thing i am planning to interface a 3x3 keyboard matrix to 8255 PPI which itself is interfaced to a microprocessor (preferably 8086).Depending on the 4 digit combination entered through the keys the unlocking happens.
I need to know how to go about it and also i need to have some mechanism which unlocks the door.
Please suggest me how to go about with this project.

For the other project I need to alert the vehicles regarding the arrival of the ship and at the same time stop the traffic from entering the bridge from both the sides.Finally after all this i am supposed to open up the bridge.

I can select either of them so need your views about both of them.
Awaiting your views eagerly.

P.S.:- This project would be made on general purpose PCB's which would be normal soldered i.e. laying tracks and not on etched PCB's using SMD's

Reverend Jones
HG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed for my project. Reply with quote

thelordrrulzzz wrote:
For the first thing i am planning to interface a 3x3 keyboard matrix to 8255 PPI which itself is interfaced to a microprocessor (preferably 8086).Depending on the 4 digit combination entered through the keys the unlocking happens.
I need to know how to go about it and also i need to have some mechanism which unlocks the door.
Please suggest me how to go about with this project.

P.S.:- This project would be made on general purpose PCB's which would be normal soldered i.e. laying tracks and not on etched PCB's using SMD's

Instead of using two 40 pin ICs along with ram/rom or other support chips, may I suggest using a single 18 pin IC? The PIC 16F84 is available in a standard dip package. The schematic of the combination lock is below and complete information is here. This would be used with an Electric Door Strike.

thelordrrulzzz wrote:
For the other project I need to alert the vehicles regarding the arrival of the ship and at the same time stop the traffic from entering the bridge from both the sides.Finally after all this i am supposed to open up the bridge.

Sounds like you need a setup similar to a railroad crossing. When activated red flashing lights come on and after 10-15 seconds the gate comes down. Crossing gates with lights are available from:
Western-Cullen-Hayes, Inc.
General Signals
RECO Railway Equipment Co.
thelordrrulzzz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: New suggestion needed regarding electronic lock Reply with quote

hey Reverend Jones thanks for the help Smile.I have thought of 1 more way of having the unlocking mechanism but need help in doing it.I want to have an electro-magnet connected to the PIC which would get magnetized when unlocking is required and demagnetized after it which would cause the latching of the door.
Can anyone suggest me how to do that with the PIC??? Rolling Eyes
Reverend Jones
HG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the above circuit the output device/latch/striker is controlled by relay K1. When a valid unlocking code is entered, K1 is energized for a few seconds. This relay can easily control your electro-magnet. The length of time the relay is energized is controlled by the variable pulsewidth EQU 'D'150' in the software and can be changed.

There is also a version of the software to make this design work as an on/off switch (toggle) instead of a momentary switch. Enter the code to turn the electromagnet on, enter the code again to turn it off.
thelordrrulzzz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Help needed in solenoids!!! Reply with quote

Hey Reverend jones thanks again Very Happy .Now just tell 1 thing is it ok to connect a solenoid in place of the relay.This serves both my purposes of an electromagnet with a pulling mechanism.A solenoid is an electro-magnet with mechanical support but what specifications solenoid should I use in the electronic combination lock project?? Rolling Eyes

Secondly can anyone suggest me a decent project involving digital logic i.e. digital IC's etc having good applications in normal life. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: