FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

LED sign help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angellebabie

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: LED sign help Reply with quote

Where do you all begin? I have little to no knowledge about electronics, soldering, circuitry and such.

I am currently looking for info on how to make or even a website that sells, signs like these

So far everyone I have talked to has limited information.. they do say the process is pretty simple, that the bulbs are easy to work with and all I need is pegboard but I am pretty iffy. I cannot find any information online about signs like these since they are portable and used by fans and not some large multi display.

The closest site I saw that sells them is yahoo auction china and the seller himself is taiwanese. I've contacted several websites that work with LED's but they've quoted me for neonsigns, display banners .. everything but.

I have the

So where do I start?
Where would I get the materials?
Which sites sell the correct lights and batteries?

I think I just might glue my old Lite brite together and use a large exstention cord.

I apologize if this seems like a lot to ask. LOL!

here are more examples of the type of sign i want to make and or buy (not nessarily the content).

http://images23.fotki.com/v858/photos/5/56062/3184760/20070101082132230-vi.jpg

http://images24.fotki.com/v854/photos/5/56062/3184760/8033734139_jpgTTEs_RGB4j81o4Xv-vi.jpg

Is this doable for a first timer?

HOw exspensive is it to make?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Angellebabie,

Yes you could probably make it yourself. You will need some soldering skills if you want to make your own. All you will need is some material to mount the LEDs to. Dark plexi-glass or thin plywood might be something you want to use.

The electronics will consist of a power source (batteries or a plug-in adapter), LEDs and current limiting resistors.

Our store sells the resistors and LEDs that you could use. The configuration and resistor values will depend on the voltage being used so the power source will be the first thing to select.
http://alan-parekh.vstore.ca/

Alan Parekh
Angelle

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is I have no idea what i am looking for. Sincerely for me I need a tutorial for dummies. Ive never used sodering for electronics only for jewelery and craft projects which are not the same thing by far.

However I am willing to try since there is pretty much no LED store on the web that I have talked with that makes these. THere are some on yahoo auction china but the seller is actually taiwanese and he hasnt answered any of my attempts at a sale.

So im pretty much stuck making this myself..

These LeDs that your store sells they need to be sodered into place correct? All i need to do is choose what voltage I want the sign to be and I need to base that on my measurements? Is there any way I can pick your brain for what I need?I already have 2 soldering irons a cold and a hot one.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a power source in mind? Plug in 12 Volt power? Battery power? If batteries you need to decide what size of batteries you will be using

Yes the LEDs need to be soldered into the circuit.

What is a cold soldering iron? Is that one of the battery operated ones that cools quickly after it is used?

Once we get that info I will give you some options on how to proceed.
Nginuity
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would shy away from the cold one...those things are notorious for producing bad solder joints....and its a pain to get that carbon cathode to engage.

Helpful links:

Intro to electronics: http://library.thinkquest.org/16497/home/index.html
Soldering (Make Magazine PodCast): http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2007/01/soldering_tutor_1.html
Angelle

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would have to be battery powered since this for a concert. I would hope the sign to be be about 20 by 17 inches however if that is too much for a battery power source I would make it 17 by 15.

Also I only have a month to make it the concert is a month away? Is that enough time?

Oh gosh I am a long way from my light bright days huh?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angelle wrote:
It would have to be battery powered since this for a concert. I would hope the sign to be be about 20 by 17 inches however if that is too much for a battery power source I would make it 17 by 15.

Also I only have a month to make it the concert is a month away? Is that enough time?

Oh gosh I am a long way from my light bright days huh?

OK, now you have to decide what type of battery holder you would like to use. 9 Volt battery snaps are easy to work with and 9 volt batteries are nice and small...

Make a simple pattern on a paper and count the number of LEDs you need. What color of LEDs are you thinking of using?
Angelle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue White and Pink for the colors.

Battery I have no Clue..

Measurement wise I guess 17 by 22 or 15 by 17. So i would need enough lights for that. As for a pattern it would be simple lettering.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> LED Projects All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: