FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

LED Crown Window Cornice battery help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: LED Crown Window Cornice battery help Reply with quote

I got the intial idea for using LEDs for this window cornice from this site and the "Blue Bawlz" hack. I decided to take the "Blue Bawlz" circuit and apply it to a crown shaped window cornice to make a night light for my daughter.

I purchased some LED Christmas lights,

http://www.ledtronics.com/ds/Xmas-Razzberry/default.asp

as I liked the "jewel" styled lenses, and hooked up 5 leds (same color) in parallel and am using a 9 volt battery. Everything works like a charm, turns on at night an off during the day. I now want to take it to the next level. I have purchased this 9 volt solar battery charger

http://store.sundancesolar.com/pocsolcharfo.html

and a Nimh 200mah 9 volt battery. Sounds simple enough, but I have a couple of concerns.

What size of blocking diode do I need to install on the positive line of the solar charger to prvent power drain?

The drain on the battery from a night of use should be minimal. The window that the solar charger will be placed in is north facing, so no direct light. I am thinking that 10 hours in this condition should be enough to keep battery charged. Sound crazy?

Do I need to be concerned about overcharging?

I know, I know. Just put the darn thing in the window and measure it after a day or two! I just thought I would get some peoples opinions.

Nginuity
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the diode, you would just need to find one who's specifications say that the reverse breakdown voltage is greater than nine volts.
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Nginuity, here is a typical one that would work

http://alan-parekh.vstore.ca/product_info.php/cPath/12_16/products_id/68
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: