FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

6V Ultra-Bright LED Chaser

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: 6V Ultra-Bright LED Chaser Reply with quote

"This is a spectacular but completely useless project. It lights Ultra-Bright LEDs in a sequence and each LED flashes brightly very briefly. The LEDs light-up going around and around since they are mounted in a circle (on a CD), then they pause before chasing again. The very brief flash of each LED (15ms) and the pauses (1 second) reduce the average current so the battery should last a long time."

http://www.electronics-lab.com/projects/games/004/index.html

jaredharley
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun! I think I'm going to have to try this one!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
anotherhackmember
HG Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a good project. It lights Ultra-Bright LEDs 8,000MCD+ for many sequences. Each LED flashes brightly very briefly by PWM for a very low power consumption. Powered from 3v to 5v and just with a single button cell 3v lithium will continue brightly for over 50 hours. The patterns are not simplistic. Well even the simple ones are still advanced. The LEDs can fade in and out, fade at slow rates and at high rates. The LEDs are like independemt channels. Some leds can be bright at the same time that other leds are dimm and others are turned off. As you see in the schematic, there are different modes of operations. Plus the chaser keeps memory of mode and current pattern even after powering off and on again.

Link:
http://www.anothercoilgunsite.com/8led

BronzeG3
HG Master

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PWM can be very fun. I just started using it to control the brightness of some LEDs. I want to try it out with my lego motors and some mosfets just to see how well it will work.
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anotherhackmember wrote:
Here is a good project. It lights Ultra-Bright LEDs 8,000MCD+ for many sequences. Each LED flashes brightly very briefly by PWM for a very low power consumption. Powered from 3v to 5v and just with a single button cell 3v lithium will continue brightly for over 50 hours. The patterns are not simplistic. Well even the simple ones are still advanced. The LEDs can fade in and out, fade at slow rates and at high rates. The LEDs are like independemt channels. Some leds can be bright at the same time that other leds are dimm and others are turned off. As you see in the schematic, there are different modes of operations. Plus the chaser keeps memory of mode and current pattern even after powering off and on again.

Welcome anotherhackmember,

Great project. I can tell you spent lots of time perfecting the sequences.
anotherhackmember
HG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Yes a lot of time. The present chip (16F648) holds 4k bytes of program flash. 13 complex patterns consume only 2k of flash using 16F628. With thousands of lines of code the chip is only 1/2 way used! I wish o-eses were as compact. Well would be if not for you know who $
a. nonymous

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so um, how can we make our own? or are you selling them in kit form...?
anotherhackmember
HG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not here to sell, but you can do a lookup of led chaser on ebay, thats were they are sold.
zak4000

Location: England, West Norfolk (East-ish England) (Confusing isn't it?? (Sort-of))

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance of a code thingy for this?
anotherhackmember
HG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zak4000 wrote:

Nop Surprised

I have been contemplating the start of a POV project. Thanks to this site, after seeing the POV links I decided to just through a POV pattern to this existing 8-LED device. It works! Strapped it to my bike and it works!! POV code for simple text is simple and consumes 1/5 the space as my normal pattern code. The good thing is that I can simple add a POV pattern to my normal patterns. Strap it to bike for POV or pull it off and put on PC for PC mod.

I will show some POV code that took me like the whole all of 2 minutes to make Very Happy
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anotherhackmember wrote:
zak4000 wrote:

Nop Surprised

I have been contemplating the start of a POV project. Thanks to this site, after seeing the POV links I decided to just through a POV pattern to this existing 8-LED device. It works! Strapped it to my bike and it works!! POV code for simple text is simple and consumes 1/5 the space as my normal pattern code. The good thing is that I can simple add a POV pattern to my normal patterns. Strap it to bike for POV or pull it off and put on PC for PC mod.

I will show some POV code that took me like the whole all of 2 minutes to make Very Happy

Sounds cool, can't wait to see it. Cool
Nuwanda

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guys
both projects look really neat, but i was wondering if there was anyway to increase the number of leds on the first one? Its currently for 10...can i add another decoder and that ic1 to make it for 20 leds?
anotherhackmember
HG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by anotherhackmember on Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nuwanda

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm....i get the first part, but about the reset. right now, 15 is connected to pin 12 of the 7414 which pauses/resets the counter doesnt it? how will the reset work if i connect it to the last led on the second 4019?

edit : oh and how will this affect the power supply? do i need to increase the voltage?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> LED Projects All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: