FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

Can I add an RCA input to a camcorder?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stefanob

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Can I add an RCA input to a camcorder? Reply with quote

I have an old Sony Handycam that has defective lens... I thought I could still use it as a portable video recorder, particularly useful to wear along with a hidden micro-camera inside the hat Wink

Of course a nifty DVR would make it better, but I'd prefer not to spend those few hundreds of bucks, ya know...

So, is there a way to add RCA input plugs to the handycam? Consider that I have some grasp of electronics and I can perform basic operations (such as soldering) quite well.

If anybody is willing to help I could opne the camcorder, take a detailed picture and send it here.

Thanks in advance

Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I add an RCA input to a camcorder? Reply with quote

stefanob wrote:
I have an old Sony Handycam that has defective lens... I thought I could still use it as a portable video recorder, particularly useful to wear along with a hidden micro-camera inside the hat Wink

Of course a nifty DVR would make it better, but I'd prefer not to spend those few hundreds of bucks, ya know...

So, is there a way to add RCA input plugs to the handycam? Consider that I have some grasp of electronics and I can perform basic operations (such as soldering) quite well.

If anybody is willing to help I could opne the camcorder, take a detailed picture and send it here.

Thanks in advance

Hi stefanob,

Most Handycams have the ability to record composite video built into the camera. My camera is actually a Sony Handycam and it has one set of RCA jacks, 2 for audio and one for video. Depending on what mode you are in it is either an input or an output. For example if I am in playback mode and I press record (not the camera record but the VCR mode record) it will record whatever is fed into the RCA jack.

Give that a try first Smile
stefanob

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, sorry. It has a "camera" and "player" mode. While set on "player" the REC keys are unactive, so the RCA and S-VIDEO plugs are only meant for output.
Hey, I found out that the lens of the camera works! It is the autofocus that is broken. So at this point I can't thrash it.
Anyway, Alan, since you are the admin of this website, let me say that "Hacked Gadgets" is truly amazing, instructive and entertaining, really a great job.
By the way, was it generally possible to apply an input RCA plug by just soldering wires at the right spot? After all defective cameras are sold for pennies...

Thank you
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stefanob wrote:
No, sorry. It has a "camera" and "player" mode. While set on "player" the REC keys are unactive, so the RCA and S-VIDEO plugs are only meant for output.
Hey, I found out that the lens of the camera works! It is the autofocus that is broken. So at this point I can't thrash it.
Anyway, Alan, since you are the admin of this website, let me say that "Hacked Gadgets" is truly amazing, instructive and entertaining, really a great job.
By the way, was it generally possible to apply an input RCA plug by just soldering wires at the right spot? After all defective cameras are sold for pennies...

Thank you

Thanks Stefanob,

Chances are that you could find a spot to get the composite signal out of most cameras, finding where that is could be tricky though. Confused
Static

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looked like a good spot for my question:

Has anyone hacked the micro displays on these cameras? I'm trying to utilize the eyepiece on an old broken videocamera, because my department won't shell out the money to purchase a "corner cam".

I'm hoping that there is some sort of industry standard for these pin-outs, because I don't have much more information at this point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: