FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

LED Mouse Hack Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
carnageX
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject: LED Mouse Hack Help Reply with quote

Hi, I was looking at the Hacked LED Mouse Light article on the main site, and figured I'd try it out myself. I have a slightly different board inside my mouse, and I'm (pretty sure) I hooked it up the same way that you hooked yours up. Here's a picture of the board with the hook-ups (sorry for the bluriness, I have an old 3.2MP camera, need to upgrade =\):

Pic 1 - Pic 2
If you need better pictures, I can try to take better ones with a friend's camera.

I have a white, 1100mcd, 20mA, 3.6v(4.0v max) LED, and am using a 330 Ohm resistor (1/4 watt, 5% tolerance), with a 9v battery. The switch for the left-click on the board is vertical, instead of horizontal, as you can see in the picture.

This will be my first electronics project, so try to go easy on me please. Thanks for the help in advance, its appreciated!

Last edited by carnageX on Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Nginuity
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does it work?
LiesOfXIII
HG Supreme

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait... are you fitting a 9v battery in your mouse? Question
carnageX
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How does it work?

You read the article in the link I provided... Right? An LED is powered off of a 9v battery, and is turned on by holding in the left-click of the mouse.

Quote:
Wait... are you fitting a 9v battery in your mouse?

Yes, I'm fitting a 9v battery into my mouse's housing. I took some sidecutters, and cut out unncecessary plastic pieces that were in the way of the mouse (and in doing so, makes the mouse inoperable as a true mouse,because the board has to be cut, as well).

I'm going to try to flip the resistor around, and I'll get back to you on it... Because that could be a reason why it wasn't working. If anybody knows a different problem that could be going on, then the help would be appreciated as well! Thanks again.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nginuity
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carnageX wrote:
You read the article in the link I provided... Right? An LED is powered off of a 9v battery, and is turned on by holding in the left-click of the mouse.

I actually meant "How is your's working out for you". I see now that the whole point was to get help for it *not working*. Sorry.

Quote:
I'm going to try to flip the resistor around, and I'll get back to you on it... Because that could be a reason why it wasn't working. If anybody knows a different problem that could be going on, then the help would be appreciated as well! Thanks again.

The resistor wouldnt be the problem...they arent unidirectional devices like LED's, and can be used in either direction. Sorry I wasnt looking at it better last night, but I see your problem(s)

The longer side of the diode needs to be hooked up to the + terminal of the battery. You have it backwards. To make it work, just snip the red battery terminal, and the connection betweent he resistor and the board.

Solder the red wire to the resistor, and the short side of the diode to the board where you soldered the resistor before. This should work properly. Remember, the resistor always comes before the LED to limit the current from the + side.
carnageX
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its no problem, it was late, and I was tired, so yeah xD. I hope I didn't come off acting like a jerk, I didn't mean for it to be. If I did, sorry about that.

Oh, I guess I didn't know that the longer side of the LED had to be on the positive side of the batter. So, basically all I could do is just de-solder the connections to the LED, and flip it so that the shorter lead is on the resistor side, and the longer lead is on the + side, right? I'll try this a little later, because I think I'll have enough time right now. Thanks again for the help, its appreciated!
Nginuity
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that should do it. If it doesnt work, there is a good chance you have overloaded the LED with current, and it will need to be replaced (Thats why the resistor goes before the LED).
carnageX
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Nginuity =). Flipping the LED worked in making it work with the switch =). Just another question... If I wanted to increase the brightness of the LED, I'd just get a smaller resistor, right? Just as long as its within the LED's tolerance range, that is.
Nginuity
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carnageX wrote:
Thanks a lot Nginuity =). Flipping the LED worked in making it work with the switch =). Just another question... If I wanted to increase the brightness of the LED, I'd just get a smaller resistor, right? Just as long as its within the LED's tolerance range, that is.

Yes. Have you used the resistor calculator Alan has? It can tell you bare minimum what it needs, which would make it as bright as possible.

http://alan-parekh.com/led_resistor_calculator.html
carnageX
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, that's what I used to get the right resistor value in the first place, actually =). I just wanted to make sure I was thinking right before I even started. Thanks again =).

Now all I have to do is drill the existing wire-hole a little larger. I'll post pictures of the final product when I get it completely done ^_^.
carnageX
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I finished the project (haven't changed the resistor yet, RadioShack I work at isn't open on Saturday nights/Sundays), so here's the pics of the finished LED Mouse! Thanks for the instructions, Alan! And thanks for the help, Nginuity, I appreciate it.

Finished 1 - Finished 2 - Finished 3 - Finished 4 - Internal 1 - Internal 2
Nginuity
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job! One word of caution...if you used the calculator, and it gave you the recommended resistor, the one you are using right now, I wouldn't go any higher.
carnageX
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks =). I'm glad it turned out as well as it did. It gave me a 330 ohm one for the 3.6v minimum voltage of the LED. And if I wanted to go to 3.9v (4v is the max), it said to go to a 270 ohm resistor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> LED Projects All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: