FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

Need Help with resistors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Looking at the original diagram connected to B on the transistor is both the 100k resistor and photocell end. And then connected to the E is one of the leads of the led. Does it matter which lead it is? Positive or negative? Then connected to E is the negative of the 9 volt wire. The positive end of the wire is connected to both of the resistors. Is this right. Sorry if it is confusing. I know I didn't add all the connections.

Hello and welcome,

Your first E should be C. The Emitter (E) goes directly to ground (black wire of the battery snap) and the Collector (C) goes to the Cathode of the LED.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Problem Smile
gray

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to get a user name. Just to be sure at B and E i will have three defferent wires each at one point? At B the resistor, photocell, and transistor, and at E the photocell, ground wire, and transistor. For some reason I don't like everything connected so close. I guess I like it to have an order.
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gray wrote:
I decided to get a user name. Just to be sure at B and E i will have three defferent wires each at one point? At B the resistor, photocell, and transistor, and at E the photocell, ground wire, and transistor. For some reason I don't like everything connected so close. I guess I like it to have an order.

Hi Gray,

Yup you got it. Cool
Elvizz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

yesterday I saw the schematic and instructions for the Blue Bawls Light and I have to say: Very nice Smile

Today I found the time to solder it together. While looking a bit more intensive at the schematic I found a mistake in it: By the way it was drawn, only the AUTO function would work - the ON function would do nothing... maybe just consuming some power Wink

So here is the schematic with my (small) correction:

BTW: I used a blue LED and a clear Afri Cola glass bottle:

Sorry for the bad quality but I don't have a proper digicam.

So long,
Elvizz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: directon of resistor Reply with quote

I was wondering if the resistor has to go in a certain direction. Also on my project the light doesn't go off at all, however if i use the multimeter and turn it to ohms. Then test on opposite sides of the 470ohm resistor the light goes off. THe lower the ohm i test for the brighter the light. Just curious of whats going on
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elvizz wrote:

yesterday I saw the schematic and instructions for the Blue Bawls Light and I have to say: Very nice Smile

Today I found the time to solder it together. While looking a bit more intensive at the schematic I found a mistake in it: By the way it was drawn, only the AUTO function would work - the ON function would do nothing... maybe just consuming some power Wink

So here is the schematic with my (small) correction:

Elvizz

Hi Elvizz,

Thanks so much for the correction. I guess I should have breadboarded the switch design (or looked at it bit longer) Embarassed . I will make the change to the picture on the first page and credit you for the correction.

Your bottle looks great!

Alan

Last edited by Alan on Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: directon of resistor Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I was wondering if the resistor has to go in a certain direction. Also on my project the light doesn't go off at all, however if i use the multimeter and turn it to ohms. Then test on opposite sides of the 470ohm resistor the light goes off. THe lower the ohm i test for the brighter the light. Just curious of whats going on

Hi,

Resistors can go in any direction. A meter in ohms mode should only be used on dead circuits (powered down). This is because the meter puts out its own voltage to measure resistance. If you built it from the schematic on the first page here there was a small error on it. Please have another look.

Alan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome. Wink
Seanie990

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan wrote:
I posted some schematic diagram symbol links in the resource area. These might help you out also Seanie990. Thanks for clearing up the breadboard question Elmetal, I must be doing selective reading Wink

http://forum.hackedgadgets.com/viewtopic.php?p=173#173

oops i meant the above post as a reply to your help. Mr. Green
aviper2k7
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gah I can't get this thing to work, what's wrong with this?

I'm not familiar with this at all, I kind of guessed on the drawings, this is how I have it set up, I saw the led flicker once, but I wasn't using a breadboard. Then I taped all the wires together and it didn't work. Is it possible I blew my leds?
Modio
HG Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you transistor is hooked up right; theres only one B C and E and they need to be hooked up correctly. I joined all of my three-way joints at the same place.

Hope it helps...[/img]
aviper2k7
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modio wrote:
Make sure you transistor is hooked up right; theres only one B C and E and they need to be hooked up correctly. I joined all of my three-way joints at the same place.

Hope it helps...[/img]

What do you mean by you joined all your three way joints at the same place? Could you please be more specific?
aviper2k7
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind, I got it to work, how long will this battery last?

Sorry for double posting, don't know if you guys care about that

And do you guys just caut a hole in the bottom to get the 9V in or do I have a smaller bottle?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> LED Projects All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: