FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

solar thermal generator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> New Projects Currently Being Developed
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cchance
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: solar thermal generator Reply with quote

im planning to build a small solar thermal generator... i was originally planning to develop a stirling engine version, but instead after discussing it a bit i think im gonna switch over to a tesla turbine version... though im having a few issues with the concept.

First i cant figure out how much heat will be generated, or how to estimate it... i mean i wanna use a 1.5m dish that i'll be coating with 98% reflective mylar coating. How can i estimate the heat at the focal point? is their a way?

Im also trying to figure out the tesla and alternator sizing, im trying to find a very high rpm tesla that needs minimum torque.... as for the tesla, ill probably start with that diy on building one from harddrive platters... but im not sure if that will end up being the right size for a closed loop steam system....

Anyone have some insight or suggestions?

AuroraAlpha
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: solar thermal generator Reply with quote

cchance wrote:
im planning to build a small solar thermal generator... i was originally planning to develop a stirling engine version, but instead after discussing it a bit i think im gonna switch over to a tesla turbine version... though im having a few issues with the concept.

First i cant figure out how much heat will be generated, or how to estimate it... i mean i wanna use a 1.5m dish that i'll be coating with 98% reflective mylar coating. How can i estimate the heat at the focal point? is their a way?

Im also trying to figure out the tesla and alternator sizing, im trying to find a very high rpm tesla that needs minimum torque.... as for the tesla, ill probably start with that diy on building one from harddrive platters... but im not sure if that will end up being the right size for a closed loop steam system....

Anyone have some insight or suggestions?

Well... I don't know how you could calculate it, but I would suggest that you try some testing out. For example, make a 5*5 in. piece of wood and paint it black, then monitor the temperate, this is the minimum you will get.

Second, take two dishes made the way the final project will be and test them both out. Try 2in and 4 in. At that point you will be able to see the relationship between the surface area reflecting and the heat (be it direct, or root function, etc.).

As for tesla... I think you might want to go back to sterling, you could mount the heater right below the sterling and use a common engine type; however tesla systems require a lot of pressure to get any useable force from.

Here is what I think you want though:
http://www.instructables.com/id/E5R0LEN6OFEP287CZL/
LiesOfXIII
HG Supreme

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesietch.org/projects/solarthermalpanel2/index.htm
solar thermal?
davidbue
HG Junior

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi cchance.

I'm doing alot of research on lasers and optical systems on my university.

I know that laser light and sun light is by far the same but a small tip would be to visit the online "Encyclopedia of Laser Physics and Technology" and have a look at some optical phenomenas. You find the encyclopedia here:

http://www.rp-photonics.com/encyclopedia.html

Take a look how they define the "beam waist" = focal point (There is no such thing as a true focas point in optical systems), look at divergence, the numerical aperture of a lens, beam radius an maybe the most interresting part of the encyclopedia in relation to your project, the propagation of Gaussian beams. (That's not a completely wrong mathematical model to how your beam propagates along its path)

Best regards
David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> New Projects Currently Being Developed All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: