FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

Robotic Cable Inspection checks for damage

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:49 am    Post subject: Robotic Cable Inspection checks for damage Reply with quote

"created by researchers at the University of Washington, which can crawl along high-voltage power cables to inspect their integrity before they blow up and/or cause some sort of significant damage. The Robotic Cable Inspection System is able to detect problems with the infrastructure via its heat sensor, acoustic sensor and "water tree" detector that examines if water has gotten into the insulation. Earlier this week, the team completed the robot's first field test at the Lockheed Martin Michoud NASA Assembly Facility in New Orleans as a way to promote more safety bots in work environments. We just hope that if the little guy does find damage that it's got time to scamper away before being shorted out itself."

http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/23/robotic-cable-inspection-system-checks-for-damage-on-electrical/

Nginuity
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a simlilar idea that I am developing that involves robots on powerlines, but with a twist Smile Ill disclose more when I get it patented, haha.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Robotics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: