FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

Computer Monitor LED mod HELP!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
precisewitem
HG Master

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Computer Monitor LED mod HELP! Reply with quote

Here's the idea : I want to put 8 LEDs in my computer monitor underneath the screen. I'll use the cover to hide the actual LEDs and produce an image in light on the monitor like this:

Here's what I need to get my hands on:
1) Acrilic for behind the cut-out
2) Information regarding wiring and powering of a typical computer monitor (Where to hook up the LED's ie power source)
3) LED fader
4) A cool shut off switch

Any information and links you guys come up with would be great
Thanks

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Nginuity
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry man, all my stuff is function over form.

What do you mean you need a LED "fader"?
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Computer Monitor LED mod HELP! Reply with quote

precisewitem wrote:
Here's the idea : I want to put 8 LEDs in my computer monitor underneath the screen. I'll use the cover to hide the actual LEDs and produce an image in light on the monitor like this:

Chris

Hi precisewitem,

Are you wanting to edge light the acrylic into those designs on the bottom of the monitor in your picture?

Something like this, but on a small scale?
http://hackedgadgets.com/2006/04/28/vw-sign-led-upgrade/

By the way that was done by a Hacked Gadget member! Smile
precisewitem
HG Master

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply Edge Lighting Reply with quote

Yup, this is what I'm looking to produce. The hard part I think we be finding a fader board that's relatively simple to wire and operate. An LED fader is a small board or module that will automatically or manually allow you to fade the LEDs on or off. What I need is infor regarding the computer monitors power supply and a location of an LED fader, thanks guys.

That VW sign is really cool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LiesOfXIII
HG Supreme

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for an LED fader, I suggest the LED fader delux from sickmods
http://sickmods.net/index.php?site=shop&cat=LED%20Faders
It's only 10$, I've boughten about 5 of them from these guys, they work great.
Depending on how many LEDs you want to be using you might want to pick up the transistor at the bottom of the page too... more info here...
http://sickmods.net/index.php?site=FaderDeluxe-Install

As for power, I wouldn't power it from the monitor itself (kinda dangerous), I'd use an extra fan header (if you have one) or 5v from a molex connector.
Just run the wires through the back of the monitor and sleeve the power cable and the led wires together, I think it'd look best with the fan header, a little heatshrink and some black nylon sleeving, thats just my opinion Razz

For a switch, vandal switches are always nice, but I'm not sure if it would be appropriate for a lighting switch, maybe just a simple toggle switch under the monitor would work, really up to you.

Hope that helps
-XII
AuroraAlpha
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LiesOfXIII wrote:
As for an LED fader, I suggest the LED fader delux from sickmods
http://sickmods.net/index.php?site=shop&cat=LED%20Faders
It's only 10$, I've boughten about 5 of them from these guys, they work great.
Depending on how many LEDs you want to be using you might want to pick up the transistor at the bottom of the page too... more info here...
http://sickmods.net/index.php?site=FaderDeluxe-Install

As for power, I wouldn't power it from the monitor itself (kinda dangerous), I'd use an extra fan header (if you have one) or 5v from a molex connector.
Just run the wires through the back of the monitor and sleeve the power cable and the led wires together, I think it'd look best with the fan header, a little heatshrink and some black nylon sleeving, thats just my opinion Razz

For a switch, vandal switches are always nice, but I'm not sure if it would be appropriate for a lighting switch, maybe just a simple toggle switch under the monitor would work, really up to you.

Hope that helps
-XII

I would agree about the power source, get a second one. You should be able to find an extra 120AC-5DV wall plug, they aren’t all that stable but they work, you could also add a small battery or other component if it’s a big issue.

As for fader wouldn't it be easier to just use a potentiometer for either voltage or mAh?
k1ratacul
HG Junior

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that your eyes will ask for mercy and that you'll suck in every game because high luminous fonts make your attection fade and your eye follow the light source!!
LiesOfXIII
HG Supreme

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol
I'd hope he'd turn it off when he was doing something
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> LED Projects All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: