FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

"Help" section and 9 Volt USB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaredharley
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: "Help" section and 9 Volt USB Reply with quote

I think the electronics needs a "Help" section for those looking for assistance on their projects.

I, for example, am working on this 9 volt USB charger that was featured in Popular Science. Using both the article and his website, I put everything together. An even 5 volts flows into the USB port, but as soon as I plug in a device, the "on" LED indicator turns off and no power flows to the device. I have no clue what's wrong - any ideas?[/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: "Help" section Reply with quote

jaredharley wrote:
I think the electronics needs a "Help" section for those looking for assistance on their projects.

I, for example, am working on this 9 volt USB charger that was featured in Popular Science. Using both the article and his website, I put everything together. An even 5 volts flows into the USB port, but as soon as I plug in a device, the "on" LED indicator turns off and no power flows to the device. I have no clue what's wrong - any ideas?[/url]

Welcome jaredharley,

Adding a help section is a good idea, I will probably do that in the near future. Do you have a schematic of the design you built? I took a look at the site you mentioned but could not locate a diagram of the circuit.

If you are using a standard LM7805 here are some standard issues…

* Input voltage is too low. You need about 2 volts more that your output. So make sure that your 9 Volt battery is good enough to provide at least 7 Volts under load. Most 9 Volt batteries can’t provide much current so this is a common 9 Volt issue.

* No capacitors in circuit. You can get away with not using any capacitors sometimes. Some regulators are less susceptible than others, but having input and output capacitors are important. In your case don’t worry about the input cap since you are running directly off a battery (clean power) but I would install a .01uF capacitor on the output (and optionally an additional 100uF on the output)

Check your connection to the USB jack, make sure the polarity is correct. Many electronic devices have a reverse biased diode across their voltage input to prevent damage when reversed power is applied (this will effectively short out the power supply).

http://www.networktechinc.com/technote.html

http://www.eidusa.com/Electronics_Voltage_Regulator.htm
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: "Help" section Reply with quote

jaredharley wrote:

Bumped into this today. This is what you need (the large filter cap could be left out since you are using a battery though)

http://www.instructables.com/ex/i/9A2B899A157310299AD7001143E7E506/?ALLSTEPS
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: "Help" section Reply with quote

jaredharley wrote:

I agree, we have a help section in electronics now Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: